Obama, Netanyahu exude confidence about peace talks with PalestineJuly 7th, 2010 - 4:36 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, July 7 (ANI): President Barack Obama and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu have both expressed confidence that the Israeli leader will soon hold direct peace talks with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.
“The bond between the United States and Israel is unbreakable,” said Obama, seated in the Oval Office alongside Netanyahu following their meeting that lasted more than 90 minutes.
“We’ve seen over the last year how our relationship has broadened. In fact, our relationship is continuing to improve,” Politico quoted Obama, as saying.
“In terms of my relationship with Prime Minister Netanyahu, I know the press both in Israel and stateside enjoys seeing if there’s news there, but the fact of the matter is, I’ve trusted Prime Minister Netanyahu since I met him before I was elected president,” Obama said.
“The United States is committed to Israel’s security. We are committed to that special bond and we’re going to do what’s required to back that up not just with words but with actions,” he added.
Netanyahu said: “I think it’s high time to begin direct talks. I think with the help of President Obama, President Abbas and myself should engage in direct talks to reach a political settlement of peace,” Netanyahu said. “I think we have a unique opportunity and a unique time to do it.”
Netanyahu spoke of bringing “the great message of hope” and thanked Obama for committing, privately and publicly, to Israel’s security. (ANI)
- Obama praises Netanyahu for easing Gaza blockade - Jul 07, 2010
- Palestinian UN bid not to be withdrawn even if talks resume: Abbas - Oct 11, 2011
- 'Alliance between Israel and US is not faltering' - Jul 12, 2010
- Israel rebuffs Obama's 1967 borders call - May 20, 2011
- Netanyahu seeks historic compromise in Middle East - Sep 02, 2010
- No alternative to peace talks: Abbas (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 16, 2010
- Israel wants peace with Palestine: Netanyahu at UN - Sep 24, 2011
- Obama tells Palestine President to have direct talks with Israel - Aug 01, 2010
- Sarkozy calls Israeli PM Netanyahu a liar - Nov 08, 2011
- Palin slams Obama for interfering in Israeli 'zoning issue' following terror attack in Jerusalem - Mar 25, 2011
- Netanyahu leaves for US for peace talks relaunch - Aug 31, 2010
- PM Netanyahu says Israel "quite serious" on peace talks - Nov 12, 2010
- Netanyahu to meet Egyptian president - Apr 28, 2010
- Israel-Palestine direct talks end in Egypt - Sep 14, 2010
- Second day of Israeli-Palestinian peace talks begins - Sep 15, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,