Obama, Netanyahu discuss Mideast situationJanuary 13th, 2012 - 3:08 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Jan 13 (IANS) US President Barack Obama Thursday called Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to discuss the Mideast situation.
The two leaders reviewed the recent face-to-face meetings between the Israeli and Palestinian negotiators in Amman, Xinhua reported.
Obama “reaffirmed his commitment to the goal of a comprehensive and lasting peace in the region,” the White House said in a statement.
They also discussed recent developments relating to Iran, including the international community’s efforts to hold Iran accountable for its failures to meet its international obligations.
Obama reiterated his “unshakable” commitment to Israel’s security, and the two leaders promised to stay in touch in the coming weeks on issues of mutual concern, the White House said.
The US and its allies are mulling expanded sanctions against Iran to target its oil exports over its controversial nuclear program, prompting the Islamic republic to threaten in late December to close the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most critical oil route.
Iran blames the US and Israel for the assassination of its nuclear scientist Mostafa Ahmadi-Roshan in Tehran Wednesday.
- Still a window for diplomacy on Iran: Obama - Mar 06, 2012
- Iran ready for n-talks: Minister - Jan 18, 2012
- US to ask Israel to let sanctions affect Iran - Mar 04, 2012
- We can't wait long for diplomacy to work: Israel PM - Mar 06, 2012
- Israel may attack Iran before US election: Report - Aug 23, 2012
- Netanyahu wants US to threaten attack on Iran - Feb 29, 2012
- Israel warns against concessions to Tehran - May 22, 2012
- Majority of Israelis oppose unilateral Iran strike: Poll - Mar 08, 2012
- Obama orders freeze on Iranian property - Feb 07, 2012
- Iran blames Israel for killing nuclear staff (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Israeli PM seeks world to set 'red line' for Iran - Sep 03, 2012
- Obama praises Netanyahu for easing Gaza blockade - Jul 07, 2010
- 'Peace accord with Palestinians more urgent for Israel than Iran attack' - Sep 11, 2012
- Israel reiterates call for sanctions on Iran - Nov 25, 2011
- Israel rebuffs Obama's 1967 borders call - May 20, 2011
Tags: amman, barack obama, benjamin netanyahu, international obligations, islamic republic, israeli prime minister, lasting peace, mutual concern, nuclear program, nuclear scientist, oil exports, palestinian negotiators, prime minister benjamin, recent developments, roshan, sanctions against iran, strait of hormuz, tehran, unshakable commitment, xinhua