Obama, Michelle to attend 10th anniversary of 9/11August 3rd, 2011 - 11:09 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 3 (IANS) US President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle will attend the events to mark the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 terror attack, the White House has confirmed.
White House Spokesman Jay Carney said the first couple will attend events in New York, Northern Virginia and Pennsylvania.
On Sep 11, Obama will “pay tribute to those we lost, honour the Americans who responded on that day, and who served in harm’s way over the last decade,” Carney was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
In addition to the first couple, Vice President Joe Biden will also take part in an event Sep 10 at Shanksville, Pennsylvania, where one of the planes hijacked by terrorists had crashed.
Over 3,000 people were killed on the morning of Sep 11, 2001, when terrorists hijacked passenger planes and crashed them into the World Trade Center in New York City, the Pentagon in Northern Virginia and Shanksville.
- Politicians take backseat as US remembers 9/11 victims (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Obama visits Shanksville crash site - Sep 12, 2011
- US marks 9/11 sans politicians at ground zero - Sep 11, 2012
- US remembers the day that changed their lives - Sep 12, 2011
- Obama to mark 9/11 at Pentagon - Sep 08, 2010
- American history museum to host 9/11 exhibit - Sep 02, 2011
- US dedicates new memorial ahead of 9/11's 10th anniversary - Sep 11, 2011
- Obama calls for heightened vigilance during 9/11 anniversary - Sep 11, 2011
- Al Qaeda behind terror threat to US : Hillary Clinton - Sep 10, 2011
- Australia to hold 9/11 ceremony - Sep 08, 2011
- President Obama to speak at Pentagon Memorial Service on 9/11 - Sep 08, 2010
- White House backs Gen. Petraeus' opposition to Koran burning - Sep 08, 2010
- US issues travel alert ahead of 9/11 anniversary - Sep 03, 2011
- US remembers 9/11 attacks in sombre ceremonies (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2009
- US taking 9/11 threat seriously: Biden - Sep 09, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,