Obama may not be taking oath on Lincolns Bible after all!January 20th, 2009 - 5:44 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Jan 20 (ANI): The Lincoln Bible to be used by Barack Obama to take oath as the 44 th President of the United States, may not belong to the Lincoln family.
They call it the Lincoln Bible. It is in tolerably good condition. While it is in good condition, its not really the Lincoln family Bible, claimed Clark Evans of the Library of Congress.
With the Civil War about to erupt and an assassination threat in Baltimore, Lincoln arrived in Washington in the middle of the night. His belongings and his Bible were still en route, CBS News reports.
It could be possible that Abraham Lincoln showed up for his first inauguration without a Bible, and the then Chief Justice there to swear him in, sent him and his clerk to get one.
Thats a very likely scenario for what happened,” Evans said, showing the current Lincoln Bible. And this is what he brings back.
The clerk of the Supreme Court, William Thomas Carroll, brought back one of the many Bibles he kept for official use - then signed and sealed it, the report said.
On that day, Lincoln spoke to a nation in crisis, about to split in two. And on Election Night, Obama echoed Lincolns words.
For inspiration, Obama has been reading Lincolns second inaugural address, said John Sellers, a Lincoln curator at the Library of Congress.
In Abraham Lincolns rise from nothing and in his determination, Barack Obama sees a model - to inspire, to guide and to unite. (ANI)
- Obama to be sworn in using the Lincoln bible - Dec 24, 2008
- Obama to take oath on Lincoln's Bible - Dec 24, 2008
- Abraham Lincoln's Bible to come out of archives for Obama - Dec 24, 2008
- Obama first president to use Lincoln's Bible - Jan 20, 2009
- Barack Obama to be sworn in on Lincoln Inaugural Bible - Dec 24, 2008
- US President Barack Obama read the psalm 46 at 9/11 anniversary - Sep 13, 2011
- President Of United States Barack Obama To Mark Memorial Day At Lincoln Cemetery - May 31, 2010
- Donner Party Member James Reed Carried Abraham Lincoln's Document - Jul 21, 2010
- Obama train journey to kick off historic inauguration - Jan 17, 2009
- Obama's whistle-stop tour, links past with historic present (Lead) - Jan 17, 2009
- 10th anniversary of 9/11 attack marked by 911 memorial - Sep 12, 2011
- Donner Party Documents Found With Lincoln's Handwriting - Jul 21, 2010
- Barack Obama steps into history to become US president - Jan 21, 2009
- New York marks 10th anniversary of 9/11 attack - Sep 11, 2011
- Obama's train journey describes arc of US history - Jan 18, 2009
Tags: abraham lincoln, abraham lincolns, barack obama, belongings, bibles, cbs news, chief justice, clark evans, curator, election night, family bible, inauguration, john sellers, library of congress, lincoln family, president of the united states, second inaugural address, th president, thomas carroll, william thomas