Obama may cut his Martha’s Vineyard holiday shortAugust 28th, 2009 - 1:47 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Aug. 28 (ANI): US President Barack Obama and the First Lady, who are holidaying at an island of Martha’s Vineyard, will travel to Boston on Friday evening to attend Senator Edward Kennedy’s funeral.
Obama is scheduled to deliver a eulogy on Saturday morning.
The change in schedule is due to bad weather forecasts. The Obamas want to ensure they can make it off the island of Martha’s Vineyard to Boston ahead of a coming storm.
According to deputy spokesman Bill Burton, tropical Storm Danny which could reach hurricane strength this weekend might cut short the Obamas stay on Martha’s Vineyard.
They plan to return to the Island after the funeral Saturday, if the weather allows, and then leave for Washington as scheduled Sunday. If the storm prevents a return, the Obamas would head to Washington from Boston on Saturday, Politico quoted him, as saying.
While the first family spent the day biking on Martha’s Vineyard on Thursday, Obama had begun work on the eulogy.
“It is something that he obviously takes very seriously. He’s been working on it. He’s obviously got a great team of speechwriters who he works with. This is going to be a very personal statement that he makes on Saturday,” Burton said.
With speculation swirling over who will replace Kennedy, Burton said Obama would not weigh in on the debate. That “isn’t a scale he’s going to put his thumb on,” Burton said.
Obama also doesn’t think the time is right to discuss renaming a health care bill for Kennedy. And Burton suggested that Obama would steer clear of the “win one for Teddy” rallying cry to boost the bill that some supporters have adopted.
Next week, Obama will have a health care event Tuesday and then travel to Camp David on Wednesday ahead of the Labor Day weekend. (ANI)
- Obama Eulogy Narrates Kennedy's Lively Impressions - Aug 30, 2009
- Obama family to begin their 6th holiday of the year - Aug 19, 2010
- Obama to cut short vacation due to Hurricane Irene - Aug 27, 2011
- President Barack Obama Lands On Martha's Vineyard For 10-Day Vacation With Family - Aug 20, 2010
- Obama begins vacation by picking up summer reading - Aug 21, 2010
- Senator Kennedy's Funeral Service On Saturday - Aug 29, 2009
- Obama spending rain-hit holiday playing Scrabble - Aug 25, 2010
- Hurricane Bill skirts US coast - Aug 24, 2009
- Hurricane Irene slams US, millions brace for storm's fury (Lead) - Aug 27, 2011
- Obama declares emergency for New York ahead of hurricane(Lead) - Aug 27, 2011
- Obamas' holiday in Martha's Vineyard kicks off - Aug 24, 2009
- Kennedy eulogised at final farewell - Aug 30, 2009
- Obama sticks with his vacation at Martha's Vineyard - Aug 29, 2009
- Kennedy's funeral to be attended by five US presidents - Aug 28, 2009
- White House Defends Another Obama Vacation - Aug 21, 2010
Tags: bad weather, barack obama, bill burton, camp david, coming storm, deputy spokesman, edward kennedy, first lady, friday evening, health care bill, hurricane strength, labor day, labor day weekend, martha, personal statement, rallying cry, saturday morning, senator edward kennedy, tropical storm danny, weather forecasts