Obama makes presidential pitch for 2016 Olympics to be held in ChicagoApril 5th, 2009 - 2:51 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr 5 (ANI): US President Barack Obama in a video welcomed Olympic evaluators to Chicago to begin the task of grading whether the city is ready to host the 2016 games.
Obama described Chicago as an international city that he and his wife and children call home, the Chicago Sun Times reported.
Obama, who remains overseas, described a city that grew up under architect Daniel Burnham’s refrain - used a lot in the city’s bid for the games - “make no small plans, they have no magic to stir the soul,” and called the city a great American melting pot.
“It’s a city where the world’s races and religions and nationalities all live and work and play and reach for the American Dream that brought them here; where our civic parades wave the colors of every culture; where our classrooms are filled with the sounds of the world’s languages,” he said, noting that jazz, ranchera and bhangra can be heard “down the street from one another.”
But beyond that, the President told the 13-member International Olympic Committee’s evaluation commission, Chicago is his home.
“After your visit, once you discover the Chicago that I know - the city that I made my home, the city where my wife grew up, the city where we raised our daughters just blocks from where these games will be held - I am confident you will discover that you’re already in the perfect host city for the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games,” the President said.
While Chicago is the first to be evaluated, the IOC team will also be grading finalist cities Rio de Janeiro, Madrid and Tokyo.
Today’s closed-door discussions will focus on environmental issues, transportation, proposed sporting venues across the city, and the Olympic Village planned for the Michael Reese Hospital campus in the 2900 block of South Ellis.
The IOC evaluation commission will tour the venues and Olympic Village site on Sunday. By the time they wrap up their work on Tuesday, the group will be prepared to report back to the 100-plus members of the IOC, which will vote on a host city for the games on October 2 in Copenhagen. (ANI)
- Rio gets 2012 Games, to put South America on Olympic map (Lead) - Oct 03, 2009
- Six cities bid for 2020 Olympics - Sep 03, 2011
- USOC pulls out its bid for the 2020 Summer Olympics - Aug 23, 2011
- Passionate Rio upstages Obama's Chicago, others before IOC - Oct 02, 2009
- Rio gets 2016 Games to put South America on Olympic map(Second Lead) - Oct 03, 2009
- Obama bound for Copenhagen to push Chicago's Olympic bid - Oct 02, 2009
- London plans big security exercise for Olympic Games - Feb 21, 2012
- Japan sets up Tokyo 2020 Olympic bid council - Nov 29, 2011
- India should not have got Commonwealth Games: Oz Olympic body chief - Sep 24, 2010
- India shouldn't have got the Commonwealth Games: Australia - Sep 24, 2010
- Former FIFA chief asks IOC to pick Rio as 2016 Olympics city - Apr 30, 2009
- Rio's choice opens door for Africa, Munich - Oct 04, 2009
- Obama to make final push for Chicago's Olympic bid - Oct 02, 2009
- Chicago, Tokyo lose out in Olympic bid - Oct 02, 2009
- Samba Olympics - Rio gets thumbs up from IOC - Oct 03, 2009
Tags: 2016 games, 2016 olympics, american dream, barack obama, chicago sun times, daniel burnham, environmental issues, evaluation commission, great american melting pot, host city, international olympic committee, member international, michael reese hospital, olympic village, parades, paralympic games, presidential pitch, ranchera, refrain, rio de janeiro