Obama inspects damage by hurricane IreneSeptember 5th, 2011 - 9:18 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Sep 5 (IANS) US President Barack Obama Sunday visited New Jersey to look at the damage caused by Hurricane Irene, the White House said.
Obama pledged federal help to residents affected by floods triggered by the storm, White House spokesman Jay Carney said.
Obama visited some of the sites affected by Irene, and inspected the damages and the recovery efforts underway. He was accompanied by Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) administrator Craig Fugate, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, and American Red Cross chief executive officer and president Gail McGovern, Xinhua reported.
The president visited residents at Patterson, New Jersey’s third largest city, as well as a local store, where supplies, medical screening and additional support to those affected by the hurricane was being provided.
Obama told residents: “The entire country is behind you and we are going to make sure that we provide all the resources that are necessary in order to help these communities rebuild.”
Hurricane Irene that made landfall Aug 27 over North Carolina on the US east coast, has led to the death of at least 50 people, and caused losses worth millions of dollars.
- US mobilises 6,500 troops for hurricane relief - Aug 28, 2011
- Obama declares emergency for New York ahead of hurricane(Lead) - Aug 27, 2011
- Obama signs disaster declaration for Puerto Rico in wake of Hurricane Irene - Aug 28, 2011
- US East Coast braces for Hurricane Earl - Sep 03, 2010
- Hurricane Irene slams US, millions brace for storm's fury (Lead) - Aug 27, 2011
- FEMA is taking action to protect U.S. East Coast states ahead of Hurricane Earl's landfall - Sep 02, 2010
- Earl becomes a category four hurricane, threatens the U.S. mid-Atlantic coast - Sep 02, 2010
- Hurricane Irene makes landfall in North Carolina, killing 3 - Aug 27, 2011
- Americans brace for 'hurricane of historic proportions' - Aug 27, 2011
- Irene remains dangerous: Obama - Aug 29, 2011
- Insured losses in the Carolinas estimated between $200-$400 million - Aug 28, 2011
- US East Coast braces for monstrous hurricane - Aug 26, 2011
- Hurricane warning as Alex storm strengthens - Jun 30, 2010
- As hurricane hits home, Bobby Jindal takes charge - Aug 29, 2012
- Hurricane Irene hits US coastal areas - Aug 27, 2011
Tags: american red cross, barack obama, carney, chief executive officer, craig fugate, emergency management agency, federal emergency management, federal emergency management agency, federal emergency management agency fema, fema, floods, hurricane irene, jersey governor, landfall, local store, mcgovern, medical screening, recovery efforts, white house spokesman, xinhua