Obama hails Gaddafi death as ‘momentous day’October 21st, 2011 - 2:55 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 21 (IANS) As the new rebel Libyan government announced the death of the former strongman, Muammar Gaddafi, US President Barack Obama hailed the event as a ‘momentous day’ in the history of Libya.”Today we can definitively say that the Gaddafi regime has come to an end,” he said in a televised statement from the Rose Garden of the White House. The “dark shadow of tyranny has been lifted.”
Obama said the NATO mission in Libya - the United States has participated in NATO’s enforcement over a no-fly zone over Libya since the early days of that country’s uprising this year - will end soon.
“Without putting a single US (service member) on the ground, we achieved our objective, and the NATO mission will soon come to an end,” Obama said.
But he reaffirmed the US commitment to the Libyan people so they can have freedom and opportunity.
Meanwhile, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon called on all sides in Libya to lay down their arms and work together peacefully to rebuild the North African nation.
“Clearly, this day marks an historic transition for Libya,” Ban said at UN Headquarters in New York, reacting to the reports of the death of the Libyan leader and the end of fighting in Sirte and other cities.
US Strategic think tank Stratfor said Gaddafi’s death is symbolically important for the rebels, but the fall of Sirte is even more significant for the effect it will have on the future stability of Libya.
“The shape of the new Libya is highly uncertain,” it said. “but with the final holdout of the pro-Gaddafi resistance overtaken, the National Transitional Council (NTC) can now move to form a transitional government.”
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- US stopped 'Gaddafi's deadly advance': Obama (Lead) - Mar 29, 2011
- Video shows Muammar Gaddafi being sodomized - Oct 22, 2011
- With Gaddafi gone, NATO operations can end: France - Oct 21, 2011
- NATO operation in Libya to continue: Obama - Sep 21, 2011
- 53 Gaddafi supporters found executed in Sirte - Oct 25, 2011
- Libya to form interim government in 8 months - Oct 22, 2011
- Obama, Berlusconi agree to raise pressure on Gaddafi - Apr 26, 2011
- New rulers declare Libya officially liberated - Oct 24, 2011
- French warplanes destroy Gaddafi's command centre - Mar 29, 2011
- UN pledges key role in Libya reconstruction - Sep 21, 2011
- Finally, a hunted Gaddafi bleeds to death - Oct 20, 2011
- NATO rejects criticism over Libya - Dec 21, 2011
- Obama urges Libya to start reconciliation process - Oct 24, 2011
- Gaddafi's son vows to avenge father's death - Oct 23, 2011
- UN chief calls for an immediate ceasefire and a peaceful transition of power in Libya - Aug 23, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,