Obama girls liking boosts Iowa diners Chocolate Chunk cookies sales (R-issue)January 4th, 2009 - 2:18 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, January 4 (ANI): U.S. President-elect Barack Obamas two daughters are apparently not less than any celebrity, for a Des Moines diner has seen its cookie sales skyrocket since the little girls took a liking to them last year.
Baby Boomers Cafe owners Tom Magnani and Rodney Maxfield have revealed that their chocolate-chunk cookies were popular with the Obama family, including daughters Malia, 10, and Sasha, 7, during the campaign season.
They revealed that the little girls took a liking to the chocolate chunk cookie when they visited the campaign headquarters in Des Moines, Iowa, last year.
“Before the election the girls told Barack they wanted some cookies from us because they liked the cookies. The press got a hold of it. Somehow and then AP got a hold of it. It went national, and then it went global. We””re selling a lot of cookies,” Fox News quoted Baby Boomers Cafe co-owner Rodney Maxfield as saying.
Maxfield and Magnani also revealed that the cookie became so famous that they had to spin off the cookie business to handle the volume of orders they were getting from both in-store sales and orders through a Baby Boomers Cookie Web site set up a few weeks ago.
They revealed that earlier they would sell less than 300 cookies each week, and sometimes give away leftovers on Friday afternoons.
However, they were able to sell about 18,000 cookies in Christmas week, on the back of the Obama familys liking for them.
“We””re known as the cookie guys now and everybody wants to come in. We””re the hot destination spot in Iowa now and everybody wants pictures of us and autographs and pictures of the cookies and us with the cookies,” Maxfield said.
To deal with the increased cookie demand, Baby Boomers has collaborated with a local bakery to make their cookies after the diner closes at 2 p.m. (ANI)
- Obama girls liking boosts Iowa diners Chocolate Chunk cookies sales - Jan 03, 2009
- Haley Barbour: President Obama thinks voters 'stupid' - Mar 28, 2011
- Obama visits Iowa State Fair: Four More Beers - Aug 15, 2012
- Rick Santorum hopeful of a good performance in the Iowa polls - Jan 03, 2012
- Sarah Palin still an American political heavyweight - Nov 24, 2009
- Sarah Palin's Iowa visit spurs talk of US Presidential run - Dec 07, 2009
- Obama tours Midwest on a $1.1 million bus - Aug 17, 2011
- Sarah Palin pushes midterm election candidates, teases possible presidential candidacy bid - Sep 18, 2010
- 77.3 million baby boomers face bleak future - Apr 17, 2012
- Ex-Arkansas Guv Huckabee predicts Palin win in 2012 - Nov 23, 2010
- Iowa awards nearly $17.5 million for disaster recovery efforts - Feb 16, 2010
- Iowa awards $29 million in housing and disaster recovery funds - May 13, 2010
- US prisoners to make their own toilet paper - Dec 03, 2010
- Twinkie log make their debut at the Iowa State fair - Aug 12, 2011
- Breastfeeding women hold protest after abuse in cafe - Jul 05, 2012
Tags: afternoons, autographs, baby boomers, campaign headquarters, campaign season, chocolate chunk cookies, co owner, cookie business, cookie sales, destination spot, fox news, leftovers, liking, little girls, magnani, malia, moines iowa, president elect, sasha, two daughters