Obama fires top Afghanistan commander McChrystal (Second Lead)June 24th, 2010 - 1:32 am ICT by IANS
Washington, June 24 (DPA) US President Barack Obama Wednesday removed Gen. Stanley McChrystal as the top NATO commander in Afghanistan over a magazine article that portrayed him as dismissive of senior US officials for their concerns about the ongoing war effort.
McChrystal was summoned to Washington for a meeting with Obama that lasted less than 30 minutes Wednesday morning.
Obama tapped General David Petraeus, currently the head of Central Command and the former commander of US forces in Iraq, to replace McChrystal.
“War is bigger than any one man or woman, whether a private, a general or a president. And as difficult as it is to lose General McChrystal, I believe that it is the right decision for our national security,” Obama said.
The president said he regretted the loss of McChrystal, but believed it was the “right thing for our mission in Afghanistan, for our military, and for our country”.
Obama said the decision to replace McChrystal reaffirmed the chain of command, with civilian control of the military.
In a profile by Rolling Stone magazine, McChrystal is portrayed as critical of top US officials including Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and special envoy to Afghanistan and Pakistan, Richard Holbrooke, for their doubts about his war strategy.
On Tuesday, McChrystal issued an apology, saying the article “was a mistake reflecting poor judgment and should never have happened”.
“Throughout my career, I have lived by the principles of personal honour and professional integrity,” McChrystal said. “What is reflected in this article falls far short of that standard.”
- Top US commander in Afghanistan resigns (Lead) - Jun 24, 2010
- Ex-NATO commander McChrystal cleared of wrongdoing in Rolling Stone piece - Apr 19, 2011
- 'Angry' Obama recalls Afghan commander to Washington - Jun 23, 2010
- Obama Speaks: Gen Stanley McChrystal Resigns & Gen David Petraeus Steps In - Jun 24, 2010
- President Of United States Fires Gen. Stanley McChrystal, Gives Power To Gen. David Petraeus - Jun 24, 2010
- US commander McChrystal derides Vice-President Biden, Holbrooke and envoy - Jun 22, 2010
- General McChrystal to retire after Afghanistan firing - Jun 29, 2010
- Afghan Govt. backs Obama's decision to appoint Petraeus as new NATO boss - Jun 24, 2010
- Petraeus being considered for CIA top job: Report - Apr 05, 2011
- Petraeus voices unity on Afghanistan - Jun 30, 2010
- Afghanistan disappointed with McChrystal's dismissal, hopeful about Petraeus - Jun 24, 2010
- Obama fires top Afghanistan commander - Jun 24, 2010
- Holbrooke tells Pak to tighten security along Afghan border - Jun 25, 2010
- U.S. Senate confirms Gen. Petraeus as new Afghan war commander - Jul 01, 2010
- Obama in dilemma over sacking McChrystal, Afghan war effort - Jun 23, 2010
Tags: apology, barack obama, central command, chain of command, david petraeus, doubts, dpa, honour, joe biden, magazine article, nato commander, poor judgment, president joe, professional integrity, richard holbrooke, right decision, rolling stone magazine, war effort, war strategy, wednesday morning