Obama favoured by Hispanics over McCainJuly 25th, 2008 - 6:19 am ICT by IANS
Washington, July 25 (DPA) Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama is preferred over his Republican rival John McCain by Hispanic voters in the US, according to a new survey. Obama beats McCain by 66 percent to 23 percent among registered Hispanic voters nationwide, the Pew Hispanic Centre said Thursday. The support for Obama represents a wider shift towards the Democratic Party.
The poll showed that 65 percent of Latinos said they identified with Democrats and only 26 percent with Republicans - the largest margin this decade - and compares with only a 21 percent gap in support as late as 2006.
Obama had struggled to gain Hispanic support during his primary campaign for the Democratic nomination against Hillary Clinton.
- Latino voters sticking with Obama, Democrats: Poll - Dec 29, 2011
- Romney sweeps five states, readies to battle Obama - Apr 25, 2012
- Latinos still back Obama over Republicans - Dec 29, 2011
- Obama, Romney locked in close race: polls - Aug 25, 2012
- Romney faces tough fight in deep South - Mar 13, 2012
- Romney faces tough fight in deep South (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- GOP voters now active on social networking sites for 'political purposes' like Democrats - Jan 28, 2011
- Obama to spend $20 mn to rally Hispanic voters - Jul 30, 2008
- After five-state sweep, Romney readies to battle Obama (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- John McCain ranked most conservative US senator in 2010 - Feb 25, 2011
- 12 million Latinos to vote in US polls - Sep 13, 2012
- One in 12 babies born to illegal immigrants in US - Aug 12, 2010
- Obama has 5 point lead over Romney: Poll - Sep 10, 2012
- US Democrat Geraldine passes away, aged 75 - Mar 27, 2011
- Only 31 percent Latinos, Asians voted in 2010 US midterm elections: Report - Apr 27, 2011
Tags: barack obama, decade, democratic nomination, democratic party, democratic presidential hopeful barack obama, democrats, dpa, favoured, gap, hillary clinton, hispanic voters, hispanics, john mccain, new survey, poll, presidential hopeful barack obama, republicans