Obama extends Myanmar sanctionsMay 16th, 2009 - 2:21 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 16 (IANS) President Barack Obama has formally extended US sanctions against Myanmar amid latest tensions over detained opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi who was put on trial on charges of allowing a US national to visit her home without permission from the authorities.
“I have determined that it is necessary to continue the national emergency with respect to Burma (Myanmar), and maintain the sanctions against Yangon to respond to this threat,” Obama told the Congress.
The Friday’s move comes despite an official review of the US policy on Myanmar currently underway, Geo TV reported Saturday.
Aung San Suu Kyi was put on trial Thursday for allowing a US national to visit her home, where she has been under detention for the past six years.
After an initial hearing, the trial was scheduled to be continued May 18.
The Nobel laureate was taken from her family compound Thursday and kept at Insein Prison after the hearing.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said she wants a “better way” to deal with the military regime in Myanmar.
Suu Kyi led her party to victory in the 1990 general elections, but the military regime never allowed her to form a government.
- Obama urges Burmese military regime to free Suu Kyi - Jun 19, 2010
- Suu Kyi told PM about `difficulties' - May 30, 2012
- EU foreign policy chief meets with Burma's Suu Kyi - Apr 29, 2012
- Manmohan meets Suu Kyi, hails India ties (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Cameron to meet Suu Kyi in Myanmar - Apr 10, 2012
- Myanmar holds landmark votes - Apr 01, 2012
- Myanmar votes to elect Suu Kyi (Lead) - Apr 01, 2012
- An India-educated democracy beacon in Myanmar - May 29, 2012
- Myanmar's Aung San Suu Kyi taken to prison (lead) - May 14, 2009
- US envoy meets Myanmar's Aung San Suu Kyi - Nov 04, 2009
- Suu Kyi to help Myanmarese migrants in Thailand - May 30, 2012
- Aung San Suu Kyi to appeal verdict, attorney says - Aug 12, 2009
- Suy Kyi is free -- five days after Obama's Delhi speech - Nov 13, 2010
- Suu Kyi's NLD to re-register - Nov 18, 2011
- Suu Kyi released -- finally (Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
Tags: aung san suu, aung san suu kyi, authorities, barack obama, burma myanmar, family compound, general elections, geo tv, hillary clinton, military regime, national emergency, nobel laureate, opposition leader, san suu kyi, sanctions, secretary of state, six years, tensions, victory, yangon