Obama errs in saying Americans invented automobilesFebruary 25th, 2009 - 6:45 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb.25 (ANI): President Barack Obama, it seems, requires a refresher course as far the history of the American automobile industry is concerned.
During the course of his address to the joint session of the US Congress, Obama erroneously said that America had invented the automobile industry.
Obama said his administration won”t protect automobile makers from their own bad practices but is committed to a retooled auto industry, saying, “I believe the nation that invented the automobile cannot walk away from it.”
He should have known that the credit for internal combustion engines generally is given to German engineer, Karl Benz, who designed and built the world’’s first practical automobile in 1885.
French inventor Nicolas Cugnot invented a steam-powered car in 1769.
Americans, on the other hand, are given credit for the mass production of cars.
Nevertheless, Obama said millions of jobs and scores of communities depend on saving the industry. (ANI)
- Mercedes launches the next-generation SLK 350 - Aug 11, 2011
- Mercedes launches the new M-Class - Jan 05, 2012
- Mercedes-Benz is official partner of Noida F1 track - Aug 24, 2011
- World's oldest running car on sale - Sep 27, 2011
- The hotel that offers guests their favourite cars as beds to sleep on - Aug 17, 2010
- British steam supercar aims to break world land speed record - Aug 19, 2009
- Ford Explorer 2011 Comes With A Plethora Of New Features - Jul 27, 2010
- Mercedes to set up driving academy in India - Aug 24, 2011
- Ford's domestic sales up 11 percent - Dec 01, 2011
- General Motors launches Beat's diesel version - Jul 25, 2011
- Mercedes-Benz India to hike car prices from May 1 - Apr 26, 2011
- Indian F1 promoters hope to break even in three years - Oct 18, 2011
- Hitler stole Beetle idea from Jewish engineer: Book - Jan 16, 2012
- New way to make lighter, stronger steel in a flash - Jun 10, 2011
- Green power plants may not be far away - Nov 04, 2011
Tags: american automobile industry, auto industry, automobile makers, automobiles, barack obama, cars, french inventor, german engineer, internal combustion engines, jobs, joint session, karl benz, mass production, nicolas cugnot, refresher course, steam powered car, us congress