Obama doesnt think he needs a fleet of new helicoptersFebruary 24th, 2009 - 3:22 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 24 (ANI): President Barack Obama doesnt think he needs a fleet of new helicopters to serve as Marine One.
Discussing the issue of military procurement during the closing session of his White House Summit on Fiscal Responsibility, Senator John McCain raised concerns about the skyrocketing costs of the program to build a fleet of 28 new helicopters for presidential use.
The president said he already talked to Defense Secretary Robert Gates about conducting a thorough review of the helicopter situation, CBS News reported.
The helicopter I have now seems perfectly adequately to me. Of course, Ive never had a helicopter before. Maybe Ive been deprived and I didnt know it, he said.
He thinks the Marine One contract is an example of the procurement process gone amok and were gonna have to fix it.
The Navy awarded a contract in 2005 to Lockheed Martin to build a new generation of 28 helicopters to serve as Marine One, but last week cost overruns forced the Pentagon to issue a stop-work order at the end of 2007.
The original 6.1billion dollar program had ballooned to 11.2billion dollar, which triggered a statute requiring the program be subjected to review.
A fleet of Sikorsky VH-3D Sea Kings and VH-60N Black Hawks now serves Obama, with some of them being in presidential service for over three decades.
It was the Pentagons intention to replace them with new three-engine helicopters that provided greater range and protection for the Commander-in-Chief. (ANI)
- Chinese stealth fighter maker may soon be flying Obama in its choppers! - Feb 04, 2011
- Obamas fleet of copters to cost 1.8 billion dollars more - Mar 06, 2009
- Sikorsky delivers VIP chopper to Maharashtra - Dec 29, 2011
- Sikorsky delivers passenger chopper to Maharashtra (With images) - Dec 29, 2011
- IAF chopper fleet to fly high with 300 new machines - Mar 03, 2011
- India clears biggest deal with US for C-17s at $4.1 bn (Second Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- US woos India for big-ticket defence deals - Nov 06, 2011
- Navy floats $900 mn tender for utility choppers - Aug 10, 2012
- U.S. military criticized for purchase of Russian helicopters for Afghan air corps - Jun 19, 2010
- Sikorsky to display chopper with Made in India cabin - Mar 20, 2012
- Defence modernisation: Critical deals materialised, others faced time overruns (2011 in retrospect) - Dec 27, 2011
- Pentagon changes track from traditional warfare to foreign insurgencies - Apr 07, 2009
- Obama uses chopper for short Mumbai flight - Nov 06, 2010
- Price talks for 126 jets to begin this month: IAF chief - Mar 10, 2011
- Pentagon seeks 78 billion dollar defense budget cut - Jan 07, 2011
Tags: barack obama, black hawks, cbs news, closing session, defense secretary, dollar program, fiscal responsibility, hawks, helicopters, john mccain, lockheed martin, military procurement, overruns, robert gates, sea kings, secretary robert, senator john mccain, sikorsky, three decades, vh