Obama didn’t see bin-Laden die: CIA Director PanettaMay 4th, 2011 - 12:00 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 4 (ANI): CIA Director Leon Panetta has said that US President Barack Obama did not see Osama bin Laden getting gunned down, but came to know that he was killed only after a team used the code “Geronimo,” signifying his capture.
It was reported yesterday that Obama along with his high-level team had watched live coverage in the White House, as the commandos shot the world’s most wanted terrorist, via a video camera fixed to the helmet of a U.S. Navy Seal.
Panetta, however, stressed that officials in the Situation Room “didn’t know just exactly what was going on” on Sunday for 20 to 25 minutes when the team entered bin Laden’s Pakistani compound, Politico reports.
“There were some very tense moments. But finally, Admiral William McRaven came back and said he had picked up the word ‘Geronimo,” he said.
Panetta also said Pakistani officials were not informed about the mission because the Obama administration feared that they could jeopardize the mission.”
Earlier, Obama’s counter-terrorism adviser John Brennan had claimed that Osama and others assembled in the White House to watch the live video of the combat operation that killed bin-Laden, had experienced ‘one of the most anxiety-filled periods’ of their lives. (ANI)
- Obama, others' went through 'anxiety-filled periods' watching Osama getting killed - May 03, 2011
- Sharing intel with ISI would have jeopardised 'Operation Geronimo': CIA chief - May 04, 2011
- When 'Geronimo EKIA' meant: 'We got him' (Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Bin Laden mission was a big gamble for Obama: official - May 04, 2011
- Geronimo EKA: Magic words that Obama was waiting to hear - May 03, 2011
- Memo documents Obama's order to get Osama - Apr 27, 2012
- Obama watched Bin Laden 'shot in left eye' on live video in White House - May 03, 2011
- Sitting in White House, Obama watched Osama die - May 03, 2011
- CIA "exploited intelligence leads" given by ISI to reach bin Laden: Pak FO - May 04, 2011
- Pakistan would have jeopardised Osama raid: CIA chief - May 04, 2011
- Pak fires back at CIA chief's damning indictment of ISI double game - May 04, 2011
- Bin-Laden's 12-year-old daughter saw father being shot - May 04, 2011
- US will be forced to reveal 'bin-Laden combat' pictures: CIA official - May 03, 2011
- US Senate panel cuts Pakistan aid over doctor's jailing - May 25, 2012
- Osama's wife says family was living at Abbottabad compound since 2005: Source - May 04, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,