Obama `deeply troubled’ about Iran post-poll uprisingJune 16th, 2009 - 1:17 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, June 16 (ANI): US President Barack Obama has said that he is “deeply troubled” by the latest violent developments taking place in Iran post-elections.
Fox News quoted Obama as saying on Monday that Iranian voters have a right to feel their ballots mattered and urged the investigation into vote-rigging allegations to go forward without additional violence.
Obama said reports of violence that followed the Iranian elections trouble him and all Americans. He said peaceful dissent should never be subject to violence.
“It would be wrong for me to be silent on what we’ve seen on the television the last few days,” Obama told reporters at the White House.
The State Department announced that the U.S. is “deeply troubled” by the latest news from the scene.
Tens of thousands of Iranians took to the streets in Tehran and other cities, defying a countrywide crackdown to protest the outcome of Friday’s presidential election, which declared Mahmoud Ahmadinejad the victor over Mir Houssein Mousavi.Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who is the ultimate power in the country, has decided to investigate charges of fraud.
Obama said he had no way of knowing the results were valid — he said the United States had no election monitors in the country — but it was important that the voters’ choices be respected. (ANI)
- Iran Council orders election recount - Jun 16, 2009
- US supports 'peaceful' justice in Iran: Obama (Lead) - Jun 20, 2009
- Obama 'deeply troubled' by Iran violence after elections - Jun 16, 2009
- Masters degree must for Iran's lawmakers - Apr 29, 2011
- WikiLeaks reveals Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei has terminal cancer - Nov 30, 2010
- Is Iran President Ahmadinejad about to resign over row with Khamenei? - Apr 30, 2011
- 'US, Israel behind Iran's post-election fiasco' - Jun 29, 2009
- Iran to 'powerfully' respond to a US attack - Nov 10, 2011
- Planned rally to support revolts draws Iranians anger - Feb 10, 2011
- Iran hails Iraq's 'growing influence' - Apr 24, 2012
- Khamenei rebuffs Ahmadinejad on official's dismissal - Apr 21, 2011
- US refuses to acknowledge Ahmadinejad's re-election - Jun 15, 2009
- EU concerned about post-election violence in Iran - Jun 14, 2009
- Khamenei says vote was definitive victory, blames enemies of Iran for turmoil - Jun 19, 2009
- Zardari to visit Iran for talks: Iranian envoy - Jul 14, 2011
Tags: ali khamenei, ayatollah ali khamenei, ballots, barack obama, crackdown, fox news, houssein, iranian elections, iranian voters, iranians, mahmoud ahmadinejad, mousavi, peaceful dissent, post poll, presidential election, supreme leader ayatollah, supreme leader ayatollah ali khamenei, ultimate power, uprising, vote rigging