Obama declares emergency for New York ahead of hurricane(Lead)August 27th, 2011 - 8:50 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 27 (IANS) US President Barack Obama declared Friday a state of emergency for New York state as Hurricane Irene is approaching the US East Coast, Xinhua reported.
Obama cut short his vacation in Martha’s Vineyard off the coast of Massachusetts Friday to return to Washington a day ahead of schedule.
Irene, estimated to threaten over 65 million residents living along the East Coast, is expected to hit the New York City and Long Island Sunday. It is threatening to wreak massive havoc on its path.
Authorities have warned that the “historic” hurricane could bring massive flooding, power outages and property damages on its path.
The state of emergency declaration mandates the coordination of disaster relief efforts among federal agencies, including the Homeland Security Department and the Federal Emergency Management Agency, which will provide federal emergency aid to the New York state.
The federal agencies will specifically help the counties of Bronx, Kings, New York, Queens, Richmond, Nassau and Suffolk to carry out future relief efforts in the wake of the hurricane.
Earlier Friday, the New York City issued a hurricane warning, the first since 1985, ordering about 300,000 residents along the coastal area to evacuate ahead of Irene’s arrival.
As of Friday afternoon, Irene was causing heavy rain, high wind and rough seas along the coast of North Carolina.
Obama convened a conference call Friday morning and was briefed by Napolitano, Fugate, White House Chief of Staff Bill Daley and other senior administration officials about the preparations for Hurricane Irene.
- US mobilises 6,500 troops for hurricane relief - Aug 28, 2011
- Hurricane Irene slams US, millions brace for storm's fury (Lead) - Aug 27, 2011
- US East Coast braces for Hurricane Earl - Sep 03, 2010
- Obama inspects damage by hurricane Irene - Sep 05, 2011
- US East Coast braces for monstrous hurricane - Aug 26, 2011
- Obama signs disaster declaration for Puerto Rico in wake of Hurricane Irene - Aug 28, 2011
- Hurricane Irene makes landfall in North Carolina, killing 3 - Aug 27, 2011
- Obama to cut short vacation due to Hurricane Irene - Aug 27, 2011
- Bobby Jindal skips Republican convention as storm looms - Aug 28, 2012
- Hurricane Irene kills 18, impacts millions in US - Aug 29, 2011
- Hurricane Irene kills four in US - Aug 28, 2011
- Russian carrier cancels flights to New York - Aug 27, 2011
- 100 flights cancelled in Canada over Irene storm - Aug 29, 2011
- Hurricane Irene hits US coastal areas - Aug 27, 2011
- Minissha Lamba stranded in New York - Aug 29, 2011
Tags: barack obama, bill daley, coastal area, disaster relief efforts, emergency declaration, emergency management agency, federal emergency aid, federal emergency management, federal emergency management agency, fugate, heavy rain, high wind, homeland security department, hurricane irene, kings new york, massive flooding, new york queens, property damages, rough seas, white house chief of staff