Obama concerned about YemenMay 22nd, 2012 - 2:16 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 22 (IANS) US President Barack Obama has said he was concerned about the terrorism threat stemming from Yemen, after a deadly suicide bombing there killed at least 90 soldiers.
“We are very much concerned about Al Qaida activity in Yemen, and extremist activity in Yemen,” Obama said at a press conference late Monday after a NATO summit in Chicago.
Obama said the US has established a “strong counter-terrorism partnership” with Yemen and will continue working with it to try to identify Al Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) leadership and operations in that country, Xinhua reported.
Security and stability in Yemen was important for the security of the US, but the war in Afghanistan was a reminder that the US should stay focused on counter-terrorism, and not extend itself in Yemen, he said.
The US has been carrying out drone attacks in Yemen, which have resulted in the deaths of a number of high-profile Al Qaida leaders.
- Al Qaeda providing free electricity in Yemen - May 03, 2012
- Yemen offered US 'open door' to attack Al Qaida: WikiLeaks - Dec 04, 2010
- Wikileaks disclose Yemeni President Saleh offered US 'open door' to attack al-Qaida - Dec 04, 2010
- Obama not pushing for Yemen president to go because of Al Qaeda threat: Experts - Mar 23, 2011
- Terror plot to bomb US-bound plane foiled (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- U.S. State Department designates al-Qaeda operative Othman Al-Ghamdi - Jun 17, 2011
- US sends drones to hunt for Al Qaeda in Yemen - Nov 07, 2010
- Al Qaeda plotting poison attack in US - Dec 21, 2010
- Al-Qaida in Yemen "Western-made," says Yemeni PM - Nov 07, 2010
- Drones kill 10 Al Qaeda militants in Yemen - Jun 13, 2012
- Yemen puts $100,000 reward for eight Al Qaida men - Oct 17, 2010
- Intending underpant bomber was British double agent - May 11, 2012
- CIA warns al-Qaeda's affiliate in Yemen "urgent threat to U.S. security" - Aug 25, 2010
- WikiLeaks: Terrorists may get n-material in Yemen - Dec 21, 2010
- Al Qaeda leaders killed in Yemen air strike - May 07, 2012
Tags: al qaida, al qaida in the arabian peninsula, aqap, barack obama, counter terrorism, deaths, drone, extremist activity, leadership, nato, nato summit, partnership, reminder, suicide bombing, terrorism threat, war in afghanistan, xinhua