Obama climate czar has socialist tiesJanuary 12th, 2009 - 4:50 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Jan.12 (ANI): Carol M. Browner, US President-elect Barack Obama’’s global warming czar-designate, was listed as one of 14 leaders of a socialist group’’s Commission for a Sustainable World Society, which calls for “global governance” and says rich countries must shrink their economies to address climate change.
Browner’’s name and biography has since been removed from Socialist International’’s Web page, though a photo of her speaking June 30 to the group’’s congress in Greece was still available.
Socialist International, an umbrella group for many of the world’’s social democratic political parties such as Britain’’s Labor Party, says it supports socialism and is harshly critical of U.S. policies.
The group’’s Commission for a Sustainable World Society, the organization’’s action arm on climate change, says the developed world must reduce consumption and commit to binding and punitive limits on greenhouse gas emissions.
Obama, who has said action on climate change would be a priority in his administration, tapped Browner last month to fill a new position as White House coordinator of climate and energy policies.
The appointment does not need Senate confirmation, Fox News reports.
Obama’’s transition team said Browner’’s membership in the organization is not a problem and that it brings experience in U.S. policymaking to her new role.
Browner ran the Environmental Protection Agency under President Clinton. Until she was tapped for the Obama administration, she was on the board of directors for the National Audubon Society, the League of Conservation Voters, the Center for American Progress and former Vice President Al Gore’’s Alliance for Climate Protection. (ANI)
- Spotlight on Rio as Earth Summit kicks off Wednesday - Jun 19, 2012
- G-20 Summit Declaration - Jun 20, 2012
- US Senate postpones climate action for lack of support - Jul 23, 2010
- Connecting global youth to support change - Apr 02, 2012
- US Senator wants brakes on nuke power plants until Japan tsunami ramification is known - Mar 14, 2011
- Obama administration to appoint 'web privacy czar' - Nov 13, 2010
- Obama lives up to `biggest celebrity' billing in the world - Apr 28, 2009
- China poses no economic, military threat to US: Hu Jintao - Jan 21, 2011
- Obama, Biden to discuss environment with Gore - Dec 09, 2008
- Veteran socialist leader Mrinal Gore dead (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Gore ''rules out'' environment job with Obama - Dec 10, 2008
- Subhashini Chandran named 2010 Yale World Fellow - May 01, 2010
- Obama working to ease US-Cuba travel restrictions - Jan 15, 2011
- U.S. FAA announces $7.7 million to develop 'green' fuel - Dec 02, 2011
- U.S. State Department acknowledges Earth Day's 40th anniversary - Apr 20, 2010
Tags: action arm, al gore, center for american progress, climate change, climate protection, democratic political parties, environmental protection agency, former vice president, fox news, global governance, greenhouse gas emissions, league of conservation, league of conservation voters, national audubon society, president elect, senate confirmation, socialist group, socialist international, transition team, umbrella group