Obama, Chavez shake hands in TrinidadApril 18th, 2009 - 10:39 am ICT by IANS
Port-of-Spain, April 18 (DPA) With two broad grins on their faces, the presidents of Venezuela and the US greeted each other with a traditional “solidarity” handshake Friday.
Hugo Chavez and Barack Obama were seen in an informal, animated exchange and sideways handshake in a series of photographs released just as the Summit of the Americas got underway in Trinidad.
The gestures melted eight years of frost between the two countries - a time span when Chavez taunted former president George W. Bush as the personification of evil and Satan.
- Chavez speaks of 'good start' in ties with Obama - Apr 19, 2009
- Chavez takes to Twitter after surgery - Mar 02, 2012
- Venezuela will become world's top oil exporter: Chavez - Dec 29, 2011
- Chavez back in Cuba for cancer treatment - Mar 26, 2012
- Ailing Chavez returns to Venezuela - Jul 05, 2011
- Chavez to travel to Cuba for surgery - Feb 24, 2012
- Nicaraguan president defends Iran nuclear programme - Jan 12, 2012
- Cancer-hit Chavez to leave Cuba next week - Mar 09, 2012
- Venezuelans protest against US sanctions - May 26, 2011
- Venezuela boosts oil sales to China - Aug 14, 2012
- Venezuelan lawmakers honour Olympic fencing champ - Aug 15, 2012
- Chavez not to attend Americas summit - Apr 15, 2012
- Venezuela provides $2 bn for fund with China - Jul 11, 2011
- Venezuela, US to restore diplomatic ties - Jun 25, 2009
- 'Two more Latin American presidents will get cancer' - Jan 05, 2012
Tags: barack obama, dpa, faces, former president, george w bush, gestures, handshake, hugo chavez, personification, photographs, port of spain, president george w bush, presidents, satan, shake hands, solidarity, summit of the americas, time span, trinidad port of spain, venezuela