Obama ‘backed out of land promise to Palestinians’January 25th, 2011 - 2:51 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan.25 (ANI): US President Barack Obama reneged on an important Bush administration pledge to give the Palestinians their “land of promise”.
Documents leaked by Al-Jazeera TV suggest that Obama retreated from a promise that territory occupied by Israel after the Six Day War of 1967 should become the basis for a future Palestinian state.
According to The Telegraph, the documents, part of a second tranche of the “Palestine Papers” released by Al Jazeera on Monday evening, indicate that Obama’s change of heart was the result of Israeli pressure.
This fact alone is likely to damage Obama’s carefully cultivated image as a friend of the Arab world.
According to the papers, Condoleezza Rice, President George W Bush’s secretary of state, explicitly endorsed the use of 1967 borders as a basis for future negotiations on dividing territory in the months after the Annapolis peace conference in 2007.
The gesture was a hugely significant one for the Palestinians as it acknowledged the broad outlines of the state they craved.
It was accepted that adjustments to the border would have to be made to allow Israel to annex Jewish settlements in the West Bank in return for land in Israel.
But Palestinian hopes that the matter had been settled were dashed when Obama came to power.
Records of a meeting in October 2009 between Saeb Erekat, the chief Palestinian negotiator, and George Mitchell, Obama’s Middle East envoy, show the Americans wavering.
The minutes of the meeting indicate that Erekat urged the United States publicly to declare its support for “two states along the ‘67 border with agreed swaps”, a commitment Ms Rice only made in private.Mitchell noted that the US had come under fierce Israeli pressure to resist such a move, but promised to pursue the matter.
The next day, however, he told Erekat to drop the subject. (ANI)
- Palestinian negotiators had secretly agreed partial Israel annexation - Jan 24, 2011
- Palestinian negotiators deny Al-Jazeera report on Mideast peace compromise - Jan 24, 2011
- Palestinian distrust of Iran revealed in leaked papers - Jan 27, 2011
- Palestinian leaders agreed to define Israel as a Jewish state - Jan 25, 2011
- Netanyahu expects direct talks to begin in two weeks - Aug 01, 2010
- Mideast negotiations difficult, not impossible: US envoy - Apr 24, 2010
- Palestine wants UN vote for statehood - Sep 05, 2011
- Palestinians reject Israeli conditions for peace deal - Aug 23, 2010
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestinian negotiator rejects claims of back door deals with Israel - Jan 27, 2011
- Obama tells Palestine President to have direct talks with Israel - Aug 01, 2010
- Yasser Afrafat's body to be exhumed - Jul 04, 2012
- Israel to offer "extensive and tempting" withdrawal plan to Palestine - Aug 15, 2010
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- Israel rebuffs Obama's 1967 borders call - May 20, 2011
Tags: al jazeera, al jazeera tv, barack obama, change of heart, george mitchell, george w bush, israeli pressure, jewish settlements, land of promise, london jan, middle east envoy, minutes of the meeting, palestine papers, palestinian negotiator, peace conference, president george w bush, reneged, rice president, saeb erekat, war of 1967