Obama authorizes covert operations in LibyaMarch 31st, 2011 - 1:02 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Mar. 31 (ANI): President Obama has signed a secret presidential finding authorizing covert operations in Libya.
A U.S. official told Fox News that plans are afoot to establish a framework of legal authorities for covert action.
Those involved can be asked to authorize specific actions, such as arming the rebels, or establish authorities under which future actions might be taken after permissions are given to undertake them.
In other words, covert actions won’t start until the president signs off again.
The Pentagon has begun drafting plans for arming the rebels if needed, sources told Fox News, but officials caution that no decision has been made because not enough is known yet about the rebels.
Obama and his national security team are still hoping that events on the ground - such as the death or resignation of Colonel Qaddafi - might spare them from having to make a decision about arming the rebels, the senior administration official told Fox News.(ANI)
- CIA meets rebels, inserts operatives to facilitate air strikes in Libya - Mar 31, 2011
- Noose around Qaddafi tightening: Obama - Mar 12, 2011
- It's too early to start negotiating for Gaddafi's exit: Obama - Mar 30, 2011
- Obama must ensure his prez campaign does not derail: Experts - Mar 15, 2011
- Michael Moore blasts Obama over military action in Libya - Mar 21, 2011
- US repositioning military forces around Libya for 'any eventuality' - Mar 01, 2011
- Anti-Gaddafi forces claim of being offered to negotiate terms over dictator's departure - Mar 09, 2011
- Gates, Clinton defend Libyan intervention, say it may last for months - Mar 28, 2011
- Gaddafi threatens Mediterranean war following "aggressive" international air strikes in Libya - Mar 20, 2011
- No decision taken on supplying arms to Libyan rebels: Gates - Mar 28, 2011
- Obama accepts stalemate on ground in Libya - Apr 16, 2011
- Gaddafi keener to stay in power than Obama to oust him says Fox News Poll - Apr 07, 2011
- Western military strikes on Libya may threaten Gaddafi regime continuance: NYT - Mar 21, 2011
- Cameron proposal to arm Libyan rebels shot down, UK armed forces in downsizing mode - Mar 02, 2011
- U.S. President Obama briefed on military operations in Libya - Mar 20, 2011
Tags: administration official, colonel, covert action, covert actions, covert operations, fox news, legal authorities, libya, national security team, pentagon, president signs, qaddafi, rebels, resignation, senior administration