Obama attempts to censor images Abu Ghraib sexual abuseMay 28th, 2009 - 12:44 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 28 (ANI): US President Barack Obama is attempting to censor images of apparent rape and sexual abuse at Iraq’s infamous Abu Ghraib prison, it has emerged. At least one picture shows an American soldier raping a female prisoner while another is said to show a male translator raping a male detainee, reports The Telegraph.
Further photographs are said to depict sexual assaults on prisoners with objects including a truncheon, wire and a phosphorescent tube. Another apparently shows a female prisoner having her clothing forcibly removed to expose her breasts.
Detail of the content emerged from Major General Antonio Taguba, the former army officer who conducted an inquiry into the Abu Ghraib jail in Iraq.
Allegations of rape and abuse were included in his 2004 report but the fact there were photographs was never revealed. He has now confirmed their existence in an interview with the Daily Telegraph.
The graphic nature of some of the images may explain Obama’s attempts to block the release of an estimated 2,000 photographs from prisons in Iraq and Afghanistan despite an earlier promise to allow them to be published.
Major General Taguba, who retired in January 2007, said he supported the President’s decision, adding: “These pictures show torture, abuse, rape and every indecency.
“I am not sure what purpose their release would serve other than a legal one and the consequence would be to imperil our troops, the only protectors of our foreign policy, when we most need them, and British troops who are trying to build security in Afghanistan. The mere description of these pictures is horrendous enough, take my word for it,” he added.The latest photographs relate to 400 cases of alleged abuse between 2001 and 2005 in Abu Ghraib and six other prisons. Mr Obama said the individuals involved had been “identified, and appropriate actions” taken. (ANI)
- 11 caught trying to escape Iraq jail - Aug 07, 2012
- New Iraq 'prisoner abuse' photographs surface in Australia - May 15, 2009
- Koran burning could amount to another Abu Ghraib: Petraeus - Sep 09, 2010
- Iraqi civilians allege British soldiers of sexual, physical abuse - Nov 15, 2009
- Top US official appalled by purported Marine video - Jan 13, 2012
- Briton clicks himself raping child, jailed - Aug 12, 2012
- One killed, 40 injured in Abu Ghraib prison riots - Sep 12, 2009
- Report says female UK soldier sexually humiliated Iraqi prisoners - Jan 02, 2010
- Women in red a real turn off for men - Apr 17, 2012
- Abu Ghraib music composition makes European debut - Aug 19, 2009
- Prisoners released by US troops joining Al Qaeda: Iraq - May 19, 2010
- Lynndie England lecture cancelled - Aug 16, 2009
- Pennsylvania man threatened to kill Obama, eat his flesh - Dec 20, 2010
- Satirical WikiLeaks rap featuring Assange's cameo takes Internet by storm - Dec 25, 2010
- Rape case against Julian Assange 'weak' - Feb 06, 2011
Tags: abu ghraib, abu ghraib prison, allegations, american soldier, army officer, barack obama, breasts, british troops, daily telegraph, detainee, female prisoner, foreign policy, graphic nature, indecency, major general taguba, prisoners, prisons in iraq, rape, sexual abuse, sexual assaults