Obama announces more aid for Horn of AfricaDecember 23rd, 2011 - 9:58 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Dec 23 (IANS) US President Barack Obama has announced an additional $113 million in emergency relief assistance for the Horn of Africa region hit by famine.
“As we enter the season of giving and renewal, more than 13 million people in Ethiopia, Kenya and Somalia remain in urgent need of humanitarian assistance amid the worst drought the region has seen in 60 years,” Xinhua quoted a statement from Obama as saying.
“The heartbreaking accounts of lives lost and of those struggling to survive remind us of our common humanity and the need to reach out to people in need,” he said.
Obama noted that the additional US funding will support urgently needed food, health, shelter, water and assistance needs, bringing total American aid to the African region to around $870 million dollars.
“Importantly, and even as we help to meet the emergency needs of the people of this region, we are also investing in their long-term food security,” the president added.
- India pledges $8 mn to famine-stricken Horn of Africa - Sep 14, 2011
- UN declares end of famine in Somalia - Feb 04, 2012
- UN declares famine in two southern regions of Somalia - Jul 20, 2011
- UN warns famine could spread in Somalia without international aid - Aug 02, 2011
- Drought in Horn of Africa affects 1.8mn children: UN - Jun 02, 2011
- Drought threatens 2 mn kids in Horn of Africa: UN - Jul 09, 2011
- Italy to send emergency aid to Horn of Africa - Aug 19, 2011
- 750,000 people may die in East African famine: UN - Sep 07, 2011
- Jackman urges fans to donate for Africa famine relief - Sep 03, 2011
- UAE to launch campaign for Horn of Africa's drought-hit - Aug 17, 2011
- China to send food aid to Africa - Aug 20, 2011
- UN chief briefs UAE on Somalia crisis - Jul 29, 2011
- Al-Shabaab militants withdraw from Somali capital - Aug 07, 2011
- Somalia's food aid stolen, UN launches investigation - Aug 16, 2011
- UAE medical team reaches out to famine victims - Aug 20, 2011
Tags: africa region, barack obama, drought, emergency relief assistance, famine, food health, food security, horn of africa, humanitarian assistance, kenya, million dollars, somalia, term food, xinhua