Obama: Al-Qaeda leader Bin Laden killed in PakistanMay 2nd, 2011 - 10:42 am ICT by BNO News
WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) — In a historic announcement, U.S. President Barack Obama on late Sunday evening announced that al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden was killed in a U.S. operation in Pakistan last week.
Obama made the announcement from the White House, giving confirmation that Bin Laden was killed and that the United States is in possession of his body. People outside the White House were seen chanting in celebration, shouting “USA! USA!”
Osama and the terrorist organization he led is believed to be behind a number of major terrorist attacks, and his death is an enormous blow to al-Qaeda. Most notably, al-Qaeda is believed to have been behind the attacks on the United States in 2001.
On September 11, 2001, two hijacked airliners crashed into both towers of the World Trade Center in New York City. Another airliner crashed into the Pentagon in Washington, D.C., while a fourth crashed in Shanksville, Pennsylvania.
The council of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) eventually declared that the attacks, which killed nearly 3,000 people from scores of countries, was considered an attack on all NATO nations. It led to the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan in an effort to defeat al-Qaeda and the Taliban.
- Reports: Obama to announce Osama bin Laden is dead - May 02, 2011
- Bin Laden says America 'will not dream of security' until Palestine has security - May 09, 2011
- President Obama to speak at Pentagon Memorial Service on 9/11 - Sep 08, 2010
- 'Bin Laden death won't stop war': Ex Guantanamo Bay detainee Habib - May 02, 2011
- al-Qaeda leadership confirms Bin Laden is dead, says it will release audio recording - May 06, 2011
- Rumsfeld: Death of Bin Laden a victory in the fight against Islamist terrorism - May 04, 2011
- US erupts in joy over Osama killing - May 02, 2011
- Osama's killing a victorious milestone against terrorism: Krishna - May 02, 2011
- Osama's death in line with U.S. policy: Pak envoy - May 02, 2011
- Osama bin Laden killed in Pakistan: Obama (Third Lead) - May 02, 2011
- US Special Troops kill Osama Bin Laden in Attotabad - May 02, 2011
- Osama Bin Laden grossly underestimated U.S. retaliation to 9/11: Ex-associate - Apr 28, 2010
- Osama tried to watch 9/11 bombings live on TV - Apr 16, 2010
- Pakistani Taliban leader possibly killed in U.S. drone strike - Jan 16, 2012
- President Obama's statement on Osama bin Laden (Part-I) - May 02, 2011
Tags: airliner, airliners, al qaeda, atlantic treaty organization, barack obama, bno, invasion of afghanistan, nato nations, north atlantic treaty organization, osama bin laden, pentagon, qaeda leader, september 11 2001, shanksville pennsylvania, sunday evening, taliban, terrorist attacks, terrorist organization, usa usa, world trade center