Obama aiming to reverse Queen Elizabeth’s Normandy ceremony snubJune 2nd, 2009 - 3:44 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, June 2(ANI): US President Barack Obama has expressed his desire to have Queen Elizabeth invited to the D-Day commemoration ceremony, that he will attend along with French President Nicolas Sarkozy on June 6 at Normandy in France.
The Queen is not part of the official guest list that has been announced. Being the only surviving head of state who served in World War II, she was snubbed after the French didn’t invited her in the list.
According to the Poitico.com, when asked if Obama believes Her Majesty should be officially invited, Press Secretary Robert Gibbs told reporters, “He does. And we are working with those involved to see if we can make that happen”
Earlier, Gibbs had brushed off a question about whether Obama could intervene on her behalf.
“We are not in charge of the guest list. I can assure you of that,” Gibbs had said.
However, this time around, Gibbs seems to have changed gears and now wants to make sure Obama’s pull for Her Majesty reaches Buckingham Palace. The American president will be among a host of veterans visiting Normandy for the events and official celebrations to commemorate the 6th of June, when Allied soldiers stormed the beaches of Normandy during World War II. The occasion is celebrated every year. (ANI)
- Prince of Wales to attend 65th D-Day anniversary - Jun 02, 2009
- Buckingham Palace officials livid over Sarkozy's D-Day snub to Queen - May 27, 2009
- Cobra creates Queen's portrait using just beer and spices - May 29, 2012
- Cobra beer to add froth at British queen's diamond jubilee event - Apr 18, 2012
- Nicolas Sarkozy carries lectern to stand tall during keynote speech! - Mar 31, 2010
- Prince Charles' tribute to his 'mama' on her diamond jubilee celebrations - Jun 01, 2012
- President Obama to call British PM Cameron on Tuesday - May 12, 2010
- Obama, Sarkozy warn Iran on nuclear weapons - Jun 06, 2009
- 'Bruni-Sarkozy invited former lovers on holidays with husband' - Sep 13, 2010
- Obama leaves France, ending landmark trip - Jun 07, 2009
- Mel B regrets missing Queen's celebrations - Jun 06, 2012
- Queen's diamond jubilee celebration kicks off - Jun 02, 2012
- Sarkozy uses footstool to tower over Brown, Obama! - Jun 10, 2009
- Sarkozy surrounds himself by 20 'short people' to 'look tall' - Sep 07, 2009
- Tongue-tied Brown slips up on 'Obama Beach' - Jun 07, 2009
Tags: allied soldiers, american president, barack obama, beaches of normandy, buckingham palace, celebrations, d day, french president nicolas, french president nicolas sarkozy, gears, head of state, majesty, nicolas sarkozy, normandy, president nicolas sarkozy, press secretary, queen elizabeth, robert gibbs, secretary robert, world war ii