Obama ahead of McCain going into conventionAugust 22nd, 2008 - 2:55 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Aug.22 (ANI): Senator Barack Obama has a slim 42 percent to 39 percent edge over Republican rival John McCain in the race for the White House, according to a Fox News poll released on Thursday.
A month ago Obama led by 41 percent to 40 percent. Both leads are well within the margin of sampling error, reports Fox News.
Opinion Dynamics Corporation conducted the national telephone poll of 900 registered voters for Fox News from August 19 to August 20. The poll has a 3-point error margin.
Obama also leads McCain among women (43 percent - 37 percent), voters under age 35 years old (55 percent - 32 percent) and black voters (74 percent - 7 percent).
McCain has the advantage among white voters (44 percent - 37 percent), voters 65 years and over (42 percent - 35 percent), white Evangelical Christians (55 percent - 26 percent) and among men by just one point (42 percent to 41 percent).
Among independents, it’’s a toss up: Obama tops McCain by just 31 percent to 30 percent, with 28 percent undecided and 8 percent saying they will vote for someone else. Last month, Obama had a 34 percent to 32 percent edge (July 22-23, 2008).
McCain has slightly stronger backing from his party: 82 percent of Republicans support him compared to 78 percent of Democrats that support Obama. (ANI)
- Obama, Romney locked in close race: polls - Aug 25, 2012
- McCain leads Obama 45 percent to 42 percent in latest Fox News poll - Sep 11, 2008
- Obama establishes seven point lead over McCain - Oct 11, 2008
- Tea Party Movement emerging challenger to GOP, Democrats: Fox Poll - Feb 06, 2010
- 2010 Congressional election remains close, 2012 split evenly - May 13, 2010
- Poll claims independent voters 'disappointed' and 'angry' with Obama administration - Jul 08, 2010
- More Americans want a new president than Obama to be re-elected: Fox News poll - Apr 08, 2011
- One in four Americans doubt Obama was born in US: Fox News poll - Apr 08, 2011
- Poll: More than 6 in 10 would not vote for Trump, Palin - Apr 27, 2011
- Latino voters sticking with Obama, Democrats: Poll - Dec 29, 2011
- Obama leads McCain by seven percentage points ahead of poll day - Nov 04, 2008
- Obama leads all potential 2012 Republican challengers: Poll - Jun 12, 2010
- Obama leads in three swing states: poll - Jun 28, 2012
- Romney sweeps five states, readies to battle Obama - Apr 25, 2012
- Americans evenly divided over Bush vs Obama - Oct 09, 2010