Obama accepts Queen’s invitation to visit UK in MayFebruary 18th, 2011 - 1:01 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 18 (ANI): US President Barack Obama has reportedly accepted Queen Elizabeth’s invitation to visit Britain in May this year, ahead of his expected visit to the G8 summit in France.
Obama would reportedly be accompanied by his wife Michelle for the three-day trip, The Telegraph reports.
The announcement of the visit, from May 24 to 26, was made simultaneously on both sides of the Atlantic by the Palace and the White House.
‘We are very pleased that this visit is taking place. It is a sign of the strong and enduring relationship between our two countries,’ the paper quoted Downing Street, as saying.
Obama’s trip would reportedly be the first state visit by a US leader since George W Bush came to the UK in November 2003. Obama had last visited London in 2009 to attend the G20 summit.
The US President is expected to bring a delegation with him, and is also likely to hold talks with British Prime Minister David Cameron on a number of issues, the paper said.
Since the Queen came to the throne in 1952 there have been 12 US Presidents and she has met every one except Lyndon B Johnson, who took over after the assassination of John F Kennedy in 1963, it added.
Obama, who along with his wife will stay at Buckingham Palace, had reportedly built a strong bond of friendship with the Queen during his visit to London in April 2009. (ANI)
- Queen Elizabeth welcomes President Obama, Michelle - May 24, 2011
- Queen's diamond jubilee celebration kicks off - Jun 02, 2012
- Queen Elizabeth great grandmom again - Mar 31, 2012
- Michelle Obama dines with Spanish King and Queen before flying home - Aug 09, 2010
- Trumpeters break longest fanfare record in Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations - May 23, 2012
- Kennedy was not interested in space travel - Sep 13, 2012
- Obama to meet Queen ahead of G-20 - Mar 06, 2009
- Queen Elizabeth gets bleeding nose - Apr 15, 2011
- Gilani calls off visit for Queen's diamond jubilee - Jun 02, 2012
- Olympics: Queen 'Bonds' with Craig at opening ceremony - Jul 28, 2012
- Obama to host Cameron at White House in March - Feb 04, 2012
- Prince Charles' tribute to his 'mama' on her diamond jubilee celebrations - Jun 01, 2012
- 90-year-old Prince Philip regrets leaving naval career - May 17, 2011
- Mila Kunis to play Jacqueline Kennedy? - Mar 02, 2012
- Queen becomes great-grandmother for first time - Dec 31, 2010
Tags: assassination of john f kennedy, barack obama, bond of friendship, british prime minister, buckingham palace, david cameron, day trip, delegation, downing street, g20 summit, g8 summit, george w bush, john f kennedy, london feb, lyndon b johnson, may 24, minister david, queen elizabeth, us presidents, wife michelle