NYU grad clinches Cocktail World CupApril 12th, 2010 - 5:37 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Apr 12 (ANI): A New York University graduate has helped win team USA the 42BELOW Cocktail World Cup in New Zealand.
Sean Hoard, 23- who used to work at PDT bar in the East Village- wowed the judges with a playful kiwi vodka fizz he created by listening to his customers.
The Portland, Ore., native came to the city in 2005 to study music business at NYU.
He pulled a barback shift at PDT one night a week, and tapped into a talent he never knew he had.
“I love tending bar. Everybody comes in here and wants to take $1,500 bartending classes, but the best thing you can do is just watch people who know what they’re doing and ask questions. I worked my tail off, so when someone left and shifts opened up, I got bumped up to being bartender,” the New York Daily News quoted him as saying.
Inspired by a friend Hoard decided to take a shot at the world title.
After a tasty afternoon of trial and error with his regulars at PDT, Hoard came up with the Wellington Fizz- a vodka-based beverage inspired by a popular New Zealand dessert that includes kiwi, passionfruit and a thick meringue whipped from club soda and an egg white.
“I’ve heard bartending compared to baking because precision is so important. At the end of the day, a Manhattan is only three ingredients. So if you mess up pouring one of them, then a third of your drink is wrong,” he said.
“The judges wanted a balanced, elegant cocktail, and a good bartender knows how to serve you what you want. What matters is that you have a good time and a drink that you enjoy. That’s what my job is all about,” added Hoard. (ANI)
- Best bartender competition comes to India - Apr 05, 2011
- Now, both Mel Gibson and Lindsay Lohan have cocktails named after them - Jul 25, 2010
- 10 quintessential cocktails for all occasions! - Jun 20, 2012
- Bartending: New opportunities in the hospitality industry - Sep 06, 2012
- Robert De Niro trains bartenders how to make 'halftini' - Mar 22, 2011
- NYC bar serves up 'The Mel Gibson Bipolar Cocktail' - Jul 22, 2010
- Anarkali, shaken not stirred - cocktail wisdom (With Image) (IANS Books) - May 20, 2011
- Now, Cupcake Vodka with 'creamy texture' - Apr 29, 2011
- Susan Boyle inspires cocktail that leaves creamy moustache on drinkers - May 06, 2009
- Some cocktail recipes (To go with cocktail story) - May 20, 2011
- 'Raj Kapoor martini' and 'Raja Hotel' mark IIFA in Toronto - Jun 20, 2011
- Dutch vodka maker beckons Indian bartenders - Jul 14, 2010
- Indian-origin "superfood" guru creates alcoholic cocktail that prevents hangovers! - Dec 21, 2009
- Behind counter: More women breaching gender 'bar' (Feature with image) - Sep 02, 2009
- Polish vodka takes a shot at Indian market - Jan 12, 2011
Tags: bartender, bartending classes, clinches, club soda, egg white, hoard, kiwi, meringue, music business, new york daily news, new york university, nyu, passionfruit, portland ore, regulars, team usa, trial and error, university graduate, vodka, york daily news