NY Muslim cabby’s attacker indicted on hate crime chargeAugust 31st, 2010 - 2:28 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Aug 31 (ANI): New York film student, Michael Enright, who was accused of stabbing a Muslim cabby in Manhattan last week, has been indicted on charges of second-degree attempted murder and first-degree assault under the category of hate crimes.
Enright is being held without bail in a psychiatric ward, and would reportedly face up to 25 years in prison if convicted of the attempted murder charge.
The 21-year-old man was not in Manhattan Criminal Court during the brief hearing and the indictment is expected to be unsealed on September 22, The New York Times reports.
Enright allegedly slashed cab driver, Sharif Ahmed, in his throat, face and arm last Tuesday after learning that he is a Muslim. But, Ahmed survived the attack.
The student, who spent time in Afghanistan working on a documentary, allegedly yelled, “This is a checkpoint,” before stabbing Ahmed.
“This is the checkpoint, and I have to bring you down,” Ahmed claimed.
Ahmed related this incident to the anger aroused by the controversy surrounding the proposed Muslim community center and mosque coming up near Ground Zero. (ANI)
- New York Muslim cabby's attacker claimed to be a 'patriot' on arrest - Sep 23, 2010
- Man who slashed Muslim charged with hate crimes - Aug 26, 2010
- Michael Enright Held Without Bail For Slashing Muslim Cab Driver - Aug 26, 2010
- New York City Cabbie Stabbed After Admitting That He Was A Muslim - Aug 26, 2010
- American man accused of slashing New York cabbie's throat for being Muslim - Aug 26, 2010
- US man charged with hate crime for stabbing Muslim cabbie - Sep 01, 2010
- New York cabbie stabbed after he reveled that he is a Muslim - Aug 26, 2010
- Gashed Mohammedan Cabbie To Dialogue With The Mayor Of New York City - Aug 26, 2010
- IMF chief denied bail in sex assault case (Lead) - May 17, 2011
- Muslim-American leaders fear "Islamophobia" may lead to "hate crimes" - Aug 27, 2010
- US Justice Department probing NY Muslim cabby's throat slashing as possible hate crime - Sep 08, 2010
- Indian-origin US student indicted for Jersey roommate's suicide - Apr 21, 2011
- US porn star, lover beat tattoo shop owner to death - May 22, 2012
- U.S. arrests 127 suspects in massive operation against mobsters - Jan 21, 2011
- Michael Enright, Accused Of Slitting A Muslim Cab Driver, Is Taken To A Psychiatric Quarter At An Infirmary In New York - Aug 27, 2010
Tags: ahmed, cab driver, cabby, degree assault, film student, first degree, ground zero, hate crime, hate crimes, indictment, last tuesday, manhattan criminal court, michael enright, murder charge, muslim community center, new york film, new york times, psychiatric ward, time in afghanistan, york times reports