NY Mayor backs building of 9/11 mosqueAugust 25th, 2010 - 7:22 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Aug 25 (ANI): New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has backed plans to building a Muslim community center and mosque near Ground Zero, saying, opposing the project would “compromise our commitment to fighting terror with freedom.”
“If we say that a mosque and community center should not be built near the perimeter of the World Trade Center site, we would undercut the values and principles that so many heroes died protecting and hand a valuable propaganda tool to terrorist recruiters who spread the fallacy that America is at war with Islam.”
“Let me declare that we in New York are Jews and Christians and Muslims, and we always have been. And above all of that, we are Americans, each with an equal right to worship and pray where we choose,” he added.
Speaking at an annual Iftar dinner that was attended by two key organizers of the mosque, Daisy Khan, wife of Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, and developer Sharif el-Gamal of Soho Properties, Bloomberg said moving ahead with the project would exercise the freedom envisioned by the Founding Fathers of America.
Despite controversial remarks made by Rauf against America, Bloomberg praised him for speaking at interfaith memorial service for Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl, a Jew, who was murdered by terrorists in Pakistan in 2002, by declaring that he, too, was a Jew.
Daisy Khan called Bloomberg’s speach “extremely important, and added, “He delivered a passionate speech . . . in defense of our deep American values.”
“Bloomberg touches my heart every time that I get to hear him speak on our rights as Americans and his brave and unwavering statements,” Gamal said. (ANI)
- Confusion over mosque status following pastor's plan to put burning Quran on 9/11 "on hold" - Sep 10, 2010
- "Ground Zero Mosque" developer says will not take funds from Iran, Hamas - Aug 28, 2010
- Mosque To Be Built Near Ground Zero In New York Amid Discord - Aug 04, 2010
- Ground Zero mosque overshadows 9/11 anniversary - Sep 07, 2010
- 'Ground Zero mosque' imam's wife slams US for discriminating against Muslims like Jews - Aug 24, 2010
- Ground Zero mosque developer evicted from SoHo office over non payment of rent - Sep 15, 2010
- Quran burning would have "strengthened radicals": Ground Zero mosque imam - Sep 13, 2010
- 9/11 Ground Zero mosque developer Sharif El-Gamal has a history of run-ins with the law - Aug 29, 2010
- Imam regrets controversy surrounding Ground Zero mosque - Sep 09, 2010
- Property honcho denies Islamic leaders abandoning Ground Zero mosque plans - Aug 17, 2010
- 'Ground Zero mosque' Imam to undertake 'speaking tour' of US next month - Dec 24, 2010
- Muslim-born Miss USA opposes Ground Zero mosque - Aug 21, 2010
- Citibank sues Ground Zero developer over failure to repay $ 100,000 debt - Dec 03, 2010
- Family of imam championing 9/11 mosque got terror threats - Oct 04, 2010
- Ground Zero mosque to allow inspection of funds - Sep 27, 2010
Tags: american values, christians and muslims, controversial remarks, daniel pearl, el gamal, equal right, feisal, founding fathers of america, journal reporter, mayor michael bloomberg, michael bloomberg, muslim community center, new york mayor, new york mayor michael bloomberg, ny mayor, passionate speech, propaganda tool, wall street journal, world trade center site, york mayor michael bloomberg