Nusrat Bhutto was woman of dignity, courage: DailyOctober 24th, 2011 - 1:21 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Oct 24 (IANS) Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) leader Nusrat Bhutto was a woman of extraordinary dignity and courage and her death brings back thoughts on the “decimation of the Bhutto family”, said a Pakistani daily. Her husband Zulfikar Ali Bhutto was hanged in 1979, while her daughter Benazir was assassinated in 2007.
Nusrat Bhutto died in Dubai Sunday after protracted illness. She was 82.
An editorial in the News International Monday said: “There will be a funeral again at Garhi Khuda Bux in Larkana. One more Bhutto will join the others at the mausoleum that stands there.”
It said Nusrat Bhutto had suffered immense misery through her life and her death “ends decades of suffering and the lasting pain which comes with the death of loved ones”.
The editorial recalled that she saw her husband executed while only in his early 50s.
“Her younger son Shahnawaz Bhutto died mysteriously in Paris in 1985 as a result of poisoning, and her elder son Murtaza Bhutto was assassinated in 1996 during his sister Benazir Bhutto’s tenure in power. Nusrat is said to have been kept unaware of her eldest daughter Benazir’s assassination in 2007.
“…many, many people beyond her immediate family will mourn her death.”
It went on to say that “with extraordinary dignity and bravery, she headed the struggle against the military rule of General Ziaul Haq after the overthrow of her husband’s government in 1977 - suffering baton-charge and a period in jail in the process”.
“She will be remembered with respect and love as a woman of immense courage. Her active life belonged to an era in which politics in Pakistan knew more principle, honour and dignity.”
It said her funeral will be an emotional occasion, “bringing back to the forefront of our thoughts the decimation of the Bhutto family, the manner in which this took place and the role the memories of this continue to play in the politics of our times”.
- Nusrat Bhutto dies, Pakistan declares mourning - Oct 23, 2011
- Pakistan mourns Nusrat Bhutto's death - Oct 24, 2011
- Gilani visits Benazir grave - Jun 21, 2012
- Pakistan confers honour on Nusrat Bhutto - Oct 25, 2011
- Benazir killing probe almost complete: Gilani - Dec 28, 2011
- Pakistan remembers Benazir Bhutto - Dec 27, 2011
- Aseefa to pick up slain mother's flag: Zardari - Dec 28, 2011
- Pakistani establishment had hand in father's, uncle's killing: Fatima Bhutto - Apr 04, 2010
- Confidante says delay in Bhutto's murder probe could harm PPP - Dec 28, 2009
- PPP to observe Benazir's 58th birthday Tuesday - Jun 20, 2011
- What's the truth behind Benazir's killing, asks daily - Dec 27, 2011
- It's monarchy in Pakistan, not democracy, says Imran - Dec 17, 2011
- Poetry was way of making sense of the madness: Fatima Bhutto (Interview) - Sep 09, 2011
- Pakistan governance has been a failure: Fatima Bhutto - Sep 30, 2011
- Zardari tried to bribe my father: Fatima Bhutto - Apr 04, 2010
Tags: active life, ali bhutto, benazir bhutto, bhutto family, bravery, bux, decimation, eldest daughter, haq, immediate family, immense courage, islamabad, larkana, mausoleum, military rule, news international, nusrat, pakistan peoples party, protracted illness, younger son