Number of Syria refugees rises to 200,000: UNAugust 26th, 2012 - 12:56 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The number of refugees fleeing Syria for neighbouring nations has risen “well above” 200,000 as the violence intensifies, the UN refugee agency has said.
“There has been a dramatic increase in the number of (Syrian) refugees in the region during August, we’re now at over 200,000 refugees in the region that’s over and above our planning figure for all 2012 of 185,000 refugees in the region,” said Adrian Edwards, a spokesperson for the UNHCR.
Meanwhile, government forces have continued their assault on rebel-held areas across the country.
More than 70 people have been killed in a suburb of the capital Damascus in three days, activists say.
Speaking at a news conference in Geneva, Edwards said a record 2,200 people crossed the border to Jordan Thursday night.
There are currently 150,000 Syrian refugees in Jordan, according to government estimates.
Turkish authorities said that more than 3,500 Syrians had arrived in the country till Friday, pushing the total number of Syrian refugees there to more than 78,000.
Around 51,000 Syrians have registered or applied to register with UNHCR in Lebanon, the agency said in a press release.
- Top UN official to visit Syria - Aug 14, 2012
- Arab League offers safe exit if Assad resigns - Jul 23, 2012
- 30,000 Syrian refugees cross into Lebanon: UN - Jul 20, 2012
- Nearly 230,000 Syrian refugees in neighbouring countries: UN - Sep 01, 2012
- EU tightens sanctions on Syria - Jul 23, 2012
- 85 Syrian army men defect to Turkey - Jul 03, 2012
- Syrian vice president defects: Rebels - Aug 18, 2012
- Japanese, Syrian journalists killed in clashes - Aug 21, 2012
- Assad regime on verge of collapse: Syrian ex-PM - Aug 15, 2012
- Syria refugees in neighbouring countries on rise - Aug 18, 2012
- 34,000 Syrian refugees reach Lebanon: UN - Jul 29, 2012
- Russia condemns attacks on journalists in Syria - Aug 15, 2012
- Terrorist leader killed in Syria - Aug 13, 2012
- Russia proposes deadline to stop Syria violence - Aug 17, 2012
- Russia retains stance on Syria after presidential poll - Mar 07, 2012
Tags: activists, adrian edwards, damascus, dramatic increase, geneva, government estimates, government forces, moscow, neighbouring, news conference, refugee agency, refugees in jordan, ria novosti, spokesperson, suburb, syrians, thursday night, turkish authorities, unhcr, violence intensifies