Nude sunbathing no more a fad on French beachesJuly 31st, 2008 - 5:12 pm ICT by ANI
London, July 31 (ANI): Topless women sunbathing on the beach may soon a thing of the past, at least in France, for large number of ladies are ditching their penchant for a little harmless nudity, says a new report.
French women who once adopted a laissez faire attitude to nakedness, have turned against displaying too much bare flesh, the report says.
Regulars at La Voile Rouge beach club on Pampelonne’’s Beach, in St. Tropez, where the topless sunbathing ritual started, now prefer to keep their top on.
The development has sparked a minor debate in the country that has always prided itself on being less prudish than its Anglo-Saxon neighbours.
For some it is simply a change in fashion, for others it marks a new conservatism sweeping France. Yet others say it is to do with increased health concerns about skin cancer and sensitivities to the growing Muslim community.
“It is seen as a bit vulgar now,” Telegraph quoted Sabina Hourdin, 38, from Paris, holidaying in St Tropez, as saying.
“It is like mini-skirts. You don”t show your legs any more, you cover them up more. In the 70s and 80s less was considered more when it came to clothes but now that has changed. It has gone out of fashion, she added.
But a spokesman for the health ministry put the cover up down to cancer concerns.
“Whereas people once thought nothing of exposing their flesh to the sun for many hours, people are generally a lot more sensible nowadays.
“This is certainly the case as regards women who are very conscious of the risks of exposure to bright sunshine.” (ANI)
- 'Troubling' topless sunbather sparks Italian debate - Aug 12, 2010
- Men want girlfriends to cover up - Aug 15, 2010
- UK men don't want girlfriends to go topless - Aug 16, 2010
- Asbury Park To Allow Topless Women On The Beach - Jun 26, 2010
- Mayor of Castellammare di Stabia Proposes Miniskirt Ban - Oct 25, 2010
- 1,000-yr-old Viking massacre remains unearthed in Oxford - Nov 08, 2010
- Fine for women wearing miniskirts in Italian beach town - Oct 26, 2010
- Danish politician calls for topless women videos to scare away extremists - Dec 16, 2010
- Tara Reid hits nightclub days after hospitalisation - Jul 26, 2012
- Jamie Hince builds sandcastle on topless Kate Moss' tummy - May 27, 2010
- Snoop Dogg teams up with Lagerfeld for new video - Sep 04, 2011
- Father's death made Paltrow health conscious - Sep 09, 2012
- Dress modestly or for ease? China eves debate - Jul 13, 2012
- After naked Harry, come Kate's topless photos - Sep 14, 2012
- Paris sunbathers face jail for topless act - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: bright sunshine, cancer concerns, french beaches, french women, health concerns, health ministry, la voile rouge, la voile rouge beach club, muslim community, nakedness, neighbours, new conservatism, pampelonne, penchant, sabina, skin cancer, st tropez, topless sunbathing, topless women, voile rouge beach club