Nuclear terrorism is for real, says Chinese dailyMarch 29th, 2012 - 8:15 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, March 29 (IANS) Compared to potential threats from nuclear states, nuclear terrorism is a more urgent threat, the online edition of China’s People’s Daily warned Thursday.
As the world was increasingly relying on nuclear energy, terrorism risks in nuclear power stations and nuclear facilities were also increasing, the paper said.
While over 1,000 nuclear facilities were supervised and protected by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), there were facilities that were not covered by IAEA, it said.
“Therefore, the source of nuclear smuggling has not been completely blocked.”
It pointed out that the loss of nuclear materials and nuclear matters
caused by national unrest and regional conflicts had become more and more serious.
The turmoil in the Middle East and the situation in Iraq and Iran “may lead to the loss of nuclear materials and nuclear matters into the hands of individuals.
“Once the terrorists obtain nuclear weapons, the nuclear disaster facing humanity will come,” it said.
The daily said the IAEA had recorded more than 1,500 incidents of loss or theft of nuclear and other radioactive material between 1993 and 2008 when the global financial crisis occurred.
It also recorded more than 1,600 incidents of nuclear smuggling during the period, over 20 of which involved the smuggling of nuclear material that was enough to build a simple atom bomb.
- More needs to be done for global n-security: IAEA - Mar 22, 2012
- Al Qaeda's dirty bomb poses risk of nuclear 9/11: WikiLeaks - Feb 02, 2011
- Our n-safety record is impeccable, says India - Jan 17, 2012
- Blast rocks Japanese nuclear power plant, reactor container not damaged - Mar 12, 2011
- PM directs safety upgrades at all nuclear facilities (Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- High radioactivity detected in seawater near Japan's tsunami hit nuke plant - Mar 22, 2011
- Address n-security in coherent manner, says Seoul communique - Mar 27, 2012
- PM firm on n-energy, directs safety upgrades at n-facilities (Second Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- 2000 bodies found on Japan prefecture sea shore - Mar 14, 2011
- Pakistan to become world's fourth-largest nuclear arsenal state by end of decade: Expert - Mar 31, 2011
- Terrorists may be getting access to nuke materials 'every second day': IAEA - Jan 28, 2011
- Iran working on atomic bomb: IAEA - Nov 09, 2011
- Wildfire near US nuclear laboratory spreads - Jun 30, 2011
- Radioactive iodine detected in Tokyo tap water - Mar 19, 2011
- IAEA declares Pak nuclear programme as safe - Apr 26, 2011
Tags: atom bomb, atomic energy agency, global financial crisis, international atomic energy, international atomic energy agency, international atomic energy agency iaea, nuclear disaster, nuclear energy, nuclear facilities, nuclear material, nuclear materials, nuclear matters, nuclear power stations, nuclear states, nuclear terrorism, nuclear weapons, radioactive material, regional conflicts, situation in iraq, urgent threat