Nuclear submarines on display at Chinese naval paradeApril 23rd, 2009 - 2:25 pm ICT by IANS
Qingdao (China), April 23 (Xinhua) Nuclear powered submarines were on display for the first time Thursday at China’s naval parade off the coast of Qingdao.
The parade marked the 60th anniversary of the founding of the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) Navy.
President Hu Jintao, who is also chairman of the Central Military Commission, was accompanied by PLA Navy Commander Admiral Wu Shengli aboard the destroyer Shijiazhuang.
The parade displayed 25 naval vessels and 31 aircraft of the PLA Navy, including the country’s nuclear submarines.
Four submarines came first in the parade. Two were nuclear-powered, the Long March 6 and the Long March 3, and two were conventionally-powered, the Great Wall 218 and the Great Wall 177.
This was the first public appearance of the PLA nuclear submarines.
- Iran developing n-powered submarine - Jun 13, 2012
- Leased Russian N-submarine to reach India by month-end - Mar 14, 2012
- China to display its nuke submarines for first time - Apr 21, 2009
- Russian submarine to reach Indian shores mid-March - Feb 28, 2012
- Russian n-sub for Indian Navy coming soon: Envoy - Dec 07, 2011
- Russia to lease n-submarine to India by October - Mar 16, 2011
- Leased Russian n-submarine to set sail for India this month end - Dec 15, 2011
- Nuke-powered submarine to boost India's underwater warfare capability - Apr 03, 2012
- New Brazilian firm to oversee nuclear submarine project - Aug 10, 2012
- Sea trials soon of India's indigenous n-submarine - Dec 02, 2011
- Russia says it needs 50 n-subs to counter US, British fleets - Mar 20, 2010
- India's carrier, n-sub programme delayed - Aug 08, 2012
- Seven injured as US n-submarine catches fire - May 25, 2012
- China to develop sophisticated marine weapons - Apr 18, 2009
- New Russian n-sub completes first sea trials - Oct 06, 2011
Tags: 60th anniversary, admiral, central military commission, china, destroyer, first public appearance, hu jintao, liberation army, naval vessels, navy commander, nuclear submarines, pla navy, president hu jintao, shengli, xinhua