‘Nuclear power safe in China’March 6th, 2012 - 2:05 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, March 6 (IANS) China’s existing technology can ensure the safety of the country’s nuclear power plants, experts say.
The experts belong to the National Committee of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), a political advisory body comprising delegates from a range of organisations, as well as independent members, the China Daily reported.
Nuclear power currently accounts for a very small proportion of China’s energy structure but will remain an important part of the country’s future energy requirements, according to Zhang Guobao, former director of the China National Energy Bureau, Xinhua reported Tuesday.
According to Liu Wei, deputy general manger of China Nuclear Power Engineering Co Ltd, the safety of China’s nuclear power plants both under operation and construction is guaranteed. After years of effort, China’s nuclear industry has formed an entire industrial service chain capability with a good foundation and advantages of nuclear energy export.
On March 11, 2011, the Fukushima nuclear crisis which occurred in the wake of a devastating earthquake and tsunami in Japan, aroused concerns among the Chinese general public over the safety of the country’s nuclear power stations.
Such concerns resulted in the suspension of the start of construction of four nuclear reactors. In 2011, no new nuclear power projects were approved by the government.
- 'China to safely develop n-power' (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- China to resume n-plants construction - Mar 07, 2012
- China's nuclear industry to post slower growth: Report - Aug 31, 2011
- Chinese nuke plant safer than Fukushima: Experts - Mar 20, 2011
- Japan to restart two nuclear reactors - Jun 16, 2012
- China freezes new nuke plant projects in response to Japan tragedy - Mar 17, 2011
- China won't abandon n-programme after Japan crisis - Mar 16, 2011
- China drafts safety plan for n-plants - Jun 16, 2011
- China may approve new nuclear plants - Apr 22, 2011
- South Korea starts building two n-reactors - May 04, 2012
- Record n-energy production in 2011-12 - Apr 04, 2012
- Mexico says it n-plant is safe - Mar 18, 2011
- China raises investment in nuclear R&D; - Feb 21, 2012
- On Chernobyl anniversary, experts confident about nuclear energy - Apr 26, 2011
- N-power crucial to China: Expert - Mar 11, 2012
Tags: advantages of nuclear energy, advisory body, china beijing, china daily, deputy general, devastating earthquake, energy bureau, energy requirements, energy structure, good foundation, independent members, liu wei, nuclear crisis, nuclear power plants, nuclear power stations, nuclear reactors, political consultative conference, power engineering co, power projects, tsunami in japan