Nuclear-armed Iran is threat to entire world: NetanyahuJune 22nd, 2009 - 7:49 am ICT by IANS
Berlin, June 22 (DPA) Iran’s nuclear weapons programme could destabilise the Middle East and is a threat not just to Israel but the entire world, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said.
In an interview published Monday in German daily Bild, he said the main goal should be to prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons. Given Iran’s support to terrorism, nuclear weapons could be given to terrorists, Netanyahu said, adding that “this is a very great danger.”
The government of Netanyahu, who took office following Feb 10 elections in Israel, has been stopping Iran from obtaining nuclear capabilities a top priority.
Israel wants a strict deadline on any talks with Iran, and if these fail, severe economic sanctions.
Netanyahu said that for Israel, it would be good news if Iran had a regime where dissent was not suppressed, where terrorism was not supported and where the Holocaust was not denied.
There is no conflict between the Israeli and Iranian people, and under another regime, the peaceful relations of the past can return, he said.
Talking about the disputed Iranian presidential election, the Israeli premier said: “If the people could freely choose, then I have no doubt that they would want a different government. What we see in Iran is a powerful desire for freedom on the part of the Iranian people.”
- Israel warns against concessions to Tehran - May 22, 2012
- Netanyahu wants US to threaten attack on Iran - Feb 29, 2012
- EU condemns attacks on Israeli diplomats - Feb 14, 2012
- 'Peace accord with Palestinians more urgent for Israel than Iran attack' - Sep 11, 2012
- Iran vows to react swiftly to any Israeli attack - Aug 19, 2012
- Iran no threat to Israel: Mossad chief - Dec 30, 2011
- We can't wait long for diplomacy to work: Israel PM - Mar 06, 2012
- Israel leaders misleading public on Iran: Ex-security chief - Apr 28, 2012
- US has 'solemn duty' to stop nuclear Iran: Romney - Jul 30, 2012
- Israel may attack Iran before US election: Report - Aug 23, 2012
- Iran rejects Israeli accusations over Bulgaria blast - Jul 19, 2012
- Israeli PM seeks world to set 'red line' for Iran - Sep 03, 2012
- US, Britain planning to attack Iran: Report - Nov 03, 2011
- The struggle is not over: Israeli PM on 9/11 - Sep 11, 2011
- Israeli military can be 'swept aside' by Iran: US analyst - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: benjamin netanyahu, dissent, dpa, economic sanctions, entire world, holocaust, iranian presidential election, israeli prime minister, main goal, minister benjamin netanyahu, no doubt, nuclear capabilities, nuclear weapons, peaceful relations, prime minister benjamin, regime, strict deadline, talks with iran, terrorists, top priority