Now, Malay Indians want a deputy prime ministerDecember 10th, 2010 - 2:32 pm ICT by ANI
Kuala Lumpur, Dec. 10 (ANI): A leader of a Malay Tamil political party - the Makkal Sakthi - has called on Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) leader Anwar Ibrahim to consider appointing a Malay Indian as the country’s deputy prime minister.
A Tamil Nesan report quoted A. Vethamurthy, as saying at a press conference in Ipoh that while he welcomed Ibrahim’s statement that a Chinese should be appointed as deputy prime minister, equal importance should be given to the Malay Indian community in this regard.
“The PKR should not forget that it managed to capture many seats in the last general election due to the support of the Indian community,” he said, adding that the appointment of an Indian as deputy prime minister would further boost the country’s image internationally.
Meanwhile, the Malaysia Nanban quoted Kedah state executive councillor S. Manikumar as saying that unity among the Indian community is lacking and this has resulted in the emergence of many factions.
He was speaking to reporters after attending a luncheon for children of Kamatchi Home in Kulim. (ANI)
- Malaysian Indian lawmaker quits party, alliance - Jan 30, 2011
- Malaysian Indian party seeks to join ruling coalition - Sep 03, 2010
- Must win by-poll, Malaysian PM tells Indian party - Apr 16, 2010
- Malaysian Indians moving away from opposition alliance: Official - Nov 10, 2009
- Anwar Ibrahim's 1998 sacking was lawful: Malaysian court - Mar 08, 2010
- MIC banking on Malay Indian vote to win Hulu Selangor poll - Apr 15, 2010
- Hindraf name being exploited by MMSP: Waythamoorthy - Sep 30, 2009
- Malay Tamil community Calls for declaring festival of Thaipusam a state holiday - Dec 09, 2008
- I am a Malay, says Malaysian ex-PM with Indian roots - Mar 08, 2011
- Posters of Malaysian sex video out in Kuala Lumpur - Apr 28, 2011
- Religious groups in Malaysia asked to find ways to increase Indian population - Jul 06, 2010
- Malaysia's Makkal Sakthi party wants Tamil school nearby - Apr 27, 2010
- Selangor Govt. has failed to help Malay Indians - May 23, 2009
- Find ways to increase population, Indians urged in Malaysia - Jul 06, 2010
- Malay Indian temples should also promote community activities - Jul 27, 2010
Tags: anwar ibrahim, appointment, deputy prime minister, emergence, factions, general election, indians, ipoh, kuala lumpur, luncheon, parti keadilan rakyat, pkr, regard, sakthi, state executive, unity