Now Karachi frets over dengue outbreakAugust 22nd, 2011 - 9:53 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Aug 22 (IANS) At least 14 cases of dengue were detected in Karachi, already battered by a wave of violence, and the authorities are now worried over its outbreak.
The cases that have been detected over the past two weeks bring the number of dengue cases in Sindh province this year to 138 and healthcare experts have warned of an epidemic if urgent steps are not taken, Daily Times reported Monday.
Dr Suresh Kumar, in-charge of Sindh’s dengue surveillance cell, said 138 dengue viral fever cases have been confirmed in the province this year, of which 119 cases were from Karachi.
Fortunately, no dengue death has been reported so far in the province, he said. Dengue fever is an infectious disease caused by the dengue virus carried by mosquitoes. Symptoms include fever, headache, muscle and joint pains.
The City District Government Karachi had suspended its fumigation drive a month ago due to lack of funds.
The fumigation vehicles had to stop work due to lack of fuel and spraying chemicals.
In this situation not only dengue but other vector diseases could increase in Karachi, the report noted.
Nasir Javed, of the Karachi health department, said the higher authorities have been requested to provide funds to purchase fuel and fumigation chemicals.
Qaiser Sajjad of Pakistan Medical Association (PMA) said dengue fever has become a regular feature in the country, particularly Karachi, due to the failure of the administration to take long-term steps.
Karachi has witnessed a wave of violence over the past one week that has left some 80 people dead.
- 10 dead, over 2,000 hit by dengue in Pakistan - Sep 09, 2011
- Delhi steps up campaign against malaria, dengue - Apr 06, 2011
- Over 500 dengue cases in Pakistan - Oct 11, 2010
- Viral fever grips Gurgaon - Sep 09, 2012
- Dengue cases cross 500 mark in Delhi - Oct 20, 2011
- Mosquito monitoring saves lives as well as money - Oct 27, 2010
- Lahore dengue toll reaches 110 - Oct 01, 2011
- Four dead, 2,000 affected by dengue in Pakistan - Oct 23, 2010
- Delhi gears up to check mosquito breeding - May 16, 2011
- Dengue toll in Pakistani province rises to 62 - Sep 23, 2011
- Dengue fever grips Pakistani province - Sep 04, 2011
- 69 new dengue cases in Delhi, total 434 - Aug 23, 2010
- Delhi reports year's first dengue case - Mar 21, 2011
- Dengue kills three more in Andhra - Oct 25, 2011
- Pakistan to get insecticide from India to fight dengue - Sep 21, 2011
Tags: chemicals, dengue cases, dengue virus, district government, epidemic, headache, health department, healthcare experts, infectious disease, javed, joint pains, mosquitoes, outbreak, pakistan medical association, pma, sajjad, suresh kumar, urgent steps, vector, viral fever