Now, hijab headscarves and turbans for UK firefighters!March 30th, 2009 - 8:44 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar.30 (ANI): A new uniform has been designed for firefighters in Britain’s Lincolnshire area, including options of full-length skirts, long-sleeved shirts, hijab headscarves and turbans. The Government said the new clothing was better fitting, giving firemen and women more protection, as well as looking more professional.
The new grey and red coloured range of clothing, which also includes maternity and sportswear, was introduced on Monday at the Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue Service, The Telegraph reports.
Fire Minister Sadiq Khan said: “We want the widest range of applicants to apply to join the fire and rescue service. To do achieve this it is important that all applicants - men and women - know that the uniform and clothing they will be issued with will not only protect them, but also will fit properly and be comfortable.
“The introduction of more appropriately fitted clothing is just one initiative to help to both retain female firefighters and encourage others to consider a fire service career.
“Fire prevention is vitally important today as we continue the aim of driving down fire deaths. To achieve this, the fire and rescue service needs employees from all ethnic groups to reflect the diversity of our communities. This will enable better mutual understanding during fire safety visits,” he added.
Jagtar Singh, spokesman for the Asian Fire Service Association, commented: “We are pleased to note that the fire service is now taking seriously the issues of culture and religious belief when purchasing corporate and protective clothing for firefighters.”
Nicola Lown, from Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service, who helped test the new uniform, said: “The uniform was comfortable in its entirety and the trousers, for once, fitted well.” (ANI)
- Away from home, they keep us safe every Diwali (Feature) - Oct 23, 2011
- 25 firemen rush to rescue one cat in Britain - Apr 06, 2011
- Fire in Kolkata factory - Dec 20, 2011
- Two-day-old kitten flushed down the toilet saved - Oct 19, 2010
- British firefighters to use motorbikes fitted with hoses - Jul 23, 2010
- Fire in Kolkata factory, no casualties (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Bars cannot discriminate against Sikhs, Muslims in California - Sep 10, 2012
- California law bars discrimination against Sikhs, Muslims (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Only two Games stadiums have NOC on fire safety - Aug 06, 2010
- Retro to Hawaiian with a twist: Summer fashion for men - May 22, 2012
- Fire in Kolkata go-down, no casualty - Feb 03, 2012
- Capital's fire service ready for Diwali: Fire chief - Nov 04, 2010
- Fire engulfs factory in Delhi - May 27, 2012
- Polish fire brigade rebel against 'Heil Hitler' commander - Dec 01, 2010
- China to have subway fire brigade - May 08, 2012
Tags: female firefighters, fire deaths, fire prevention, fire safety, fire service career, firemen, full length, headscarves, lincolnshire area, lincolnshire fire and rescue service, long sleeved shirts, lown, maternity, mutual understanding, protective clothing, religious belief, sadiq khan, sportswear, telegraph reports, turbans