Now, free condoms for 12 year olds to cut teen pregnanciesAugust 6th, 2010 - 12:28 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, August 6 (ANI): Family planning has a new twist to it, as Family Planning Victoria prepares to provide free condoms to 12-year-old students in school, in a bid to reduce teen pregnancies.
The taxpayer-financed group said they should be kept in student common rooms, or distributed by machines.
“We do know that there are some very young people having sex,” News.com.au quoted Family Planning chief executive Lynne Jordan as saying.
“If a younger person who is sexually active gets the condom, I would think that’s a better proposition than them actually having unprotected sex,” she added.
Jordan added that there was no evidence suggesting that easy availability of condoms led to increased sexual activity.
However, Parents Victoria executive officer Gail McHardy said that people would be dead against it, and they don’t see it as the school’s business.
Stephen Franzi-Ford, of the Association of School Councils in Victoria, agreed.
But, he said that it was a legitimate issue nevertheless considering the rise of sexually transmitted infections.
“It’s actually a health issue,” he said.
However, opinions remain divided as to whether schools should or shouldn’t interfere in this manner. (ANI)
- Sex survey at D.C. school triggers controversy - Oct 16, 2010
- Safe sex project involving quirky condoms cost Oz taxpayers $50,000! - Nov 16, 2010
- 11-year-olds in US can now order condoms via mail - Apr 15, 2011
- Cambridge U students clueless about unsafe sex? - Nov 05, 2011
- Unsafe sex common among Chinese college students: Study - Oct 30, 2010
- Girls likelier to have unprotected first sexual encounter than boys: Study - Nov 09, 2010
- Chinese college students unaware about safe sex - Oct 30, 2010
- Campaign launched for shy condom buyers - Jul 11, 2011
- 25 percent of young Mexicans do not use condoms - Dec 03, 2010
- Children aged five to be taught sex in Britain - Jun 18, 2010
- 70 percent single British women have unprotected sex - May 31, 2012
- British parents object to sex lessons for Scouts - Apr 05, 2011
- Eyeing small town India, subsidised condom set to be trendier - Jun 25, 2012
- Chinese students don't know much about safe sex - Nov 14, 2011
- Condom cell phone charms become a rage among Chinese teens - Dec 28, 2010
Tags: 12 year olds, chief executive, common rooms, condom, councils in victoria, executive officer, family planning victoria, ford, franzi, free condoms, having unprotected sex, health issue, jordan, legitimate issue, melbourne, new twist, people having sex, school councils, sex news, sexual activity