Now, four, not ten-year-old malt whisky comes of ageApril 19th, 2009 - 2:43 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr.19 (ANI): Traditionalists may not like it, but distilleries are bringing out a new range of youthful malts in a bid to attract a younger generation of drinkers.
Advances in the technology used to make whisky mean that the world-famous water of life can be matured faster and sold earlier, reports The Scotsman.
Though the consensus among experts until recently was that malts matured for less than 10 years were not of high enough quality, some distilleries are now bringing out products as young as four years.
The Ardbeg Distillery on Islay has already sold thousands of bottles from its range of Very Young (six years) at 28 pounds, Still Young (eight) at 29.99 pounds and Almost There (nine) at 29.99 pounds, with names deliberately targeted at a younger audience. But some distilleries and independent bottlers, such as Glen Garioch, are bringing out versions for less than 20 pounds.
The Scotch Malt Whisky Society, the country’s leading authority on malts, has been so impressed by some of the new products that it is considering a special tasting for members.
Marketing manager Kai Ivalo said: “Various distilleries have been doing this with great success. There’s clearly an interest in young whiskies because they have this real vibrancy.”
One of the reasons for the new breed of young whiskies is the distilleries brought out of mothballs by new management in the late 1990s has been the increase in global demand for malt whisky. (ANI)
- Indian trio in Scotland invent device to identify fake whisky - Nov 03, 2011
- Scotch whisky industry unaffected by recession - Jan 02, 2012
- Single-malt Scotch whisky named world's best - Oct 25, 2011
- Scotch makes 3.5 bn pounds in worldwide exports - Mar 31, 2011
- 100-year-old whisky to benefit Antarctic Heritage Trust - Apr 05, 2011
- UK moves to ban fake whiskies - Nov 14, 2007
- Despite turmoil Libyans show interest in whisky festival - Mar 08, 2011
- Bottle of whisky auctioned for $460,000 - Nov 17, 2010
- Century-old Scotch Extricated From Ice-covered Crate - Aug 15, 2010
- Gwen Stefani to team up with clothing house - Jul 19, 2011
- Spurious Scotch lands six in Goa jail - Oct 04, 2011
- Now, a jazz version of geese to wow music lovers - Jul 05, 2010
- Kiwi museum thawing 100-year-old whisky - Jul 22, 2010
- Kerala liquor suppliers threaten supply shutdown - Jun 21, 2012
- New guidelines to protect Scotch whisky from counterfeiting in India, China - Dec 31, 2007
Tags: ardbeg distillery, glen garioch, global demand, independent bottlers, islay, ivalo, leading authority, malt whisky society, malts, marketing manager, mothballs, new breed, new management, scotch malt whisky, scotch malt whisky society, scotsman, traditionalists, water of life, whiskies, younger generation