Now, Chinese tailors copy Kate’s wedding gownMay 1st, 2011 - 1:40 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 01 (ANI): It has emerged that Duchess of Cambridge Kate’s elegant wedding dress is now being copied by Chinese tailors.
In the eastern Chinese city of Suzhou, teams of tailors have already whirred into action to copy the Kate’s bridal gown.
Many of the 700 wedding dress factories and shops that cluster around Tiger hill, in the city’s old town, confirmed that they are planning to offer their customers a cut-price version of the design by Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen.
“We have copied lots of dresses in the past, and our tailors copied Princess Diana’s dress to around 90 per cent accuracy,” the Telegraph quoted Xu Xiang, the 24-year-old production manager of the Bo En Qiao wedding dress factory, as saying.
“It will now take us 15 to 20 days to make up a version of the latest royal wedding dress. Our dresses go for around 70 pounds to 90 pounds,” she added.
At that price, of course, the Chinese copy of the bridal gown will not come with three petticoats of lace, hand-stitched using the Carrickmacross lace-making technique, and nor will be made with the same quality of ivory satin.
“Of course we will have to use something cheaper,” said Xu, fingering the polyester bodice of one of her studio’s creations.
As for the Duchess’ 9ft-long train, Xu said she would include it if a customer asked for it.
“We were prepared to do a train as long as Princess Diana’s. We made one that was 60ft-long once,” she added. (ANI)
- Chinese brides-to-be eye Kate's wedding gown - May 04, 2011
- Replica of Kate's wedding dress to hit stores - May 04, 2011
- Kate Middleton best dressed bride, say Indian designers - Apr 29, 2011
- Kate Middleton's dress rakes in 10 million in ticket sales - Jul 19, 2012
- Princess Diana's wedding dress voted the best ever - Mar 29, 2011
- Fairytale wedding for Will-Kat - world hopes happily ever after - Apr 29, 2011
- Designer Bruce Oldfield 'will design Kate's wedding dress' - Dec 10, 2010
- Was Kate's wedding gown inspired by Grace Kelly's nuptial dress? - Apr 30, 2011
- William weds Kate (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- Kate Middleton's wedding dress 'will be modest' - Feb 08, 2011
- Kate is vision in white - Apr 29, 2011
- Diana's friend Sarah not invited to Wills-Kate wedding - Feb 19, 2011
- Princess Diana's wedding dress on display - Oct 28, 2011
- Has Kate chosen Princess Di's favorite designer for her wedding dress? - Jan 17, 2011
- Kate, William join the royals at Madame Tussauds - Apr 04, 2012
Tags: alexander mcqueen, bodice, bridal gown, chinese city, chinese copy, chinese tailors, dress factory, duchess, elegant wedding, factories, ivory satin, long train, old town, petticoats, princess diana, royal wedding, sarah burton, tiger hill, wedding dress, wedding gown