‘Not bitter towards India,’ says Scarlette’s motherMarch 16th, 2008 - 7:30 pm ICT by admin
London, March 16 (IANS) Murdered British teenager Scarlette Keeling’s mother says she loves India but has abandoned plans to settle down in Goa for safety reasons. “I don’t feel safe here. I am sure there are many people in Goa who want to see me dead,” Fiona MacKeown told the Observer newspaper in an interview published Sunday.
But she said she had nothing against the country.
“I love India, so do the children,” said MacKeown, whose 15-year-old daughter was raped and murdered on Goa’s Anjuna beach Feb 18.
The Goa police initially said she had died of drowning, but MacKeown forced a second autopsy, which gave a murder verdict.
The state police subsequently arrested two men on suspicion of raping and killing Scarlette.
“Scarlette, especially, was having the time of her life here. Personally, I am not bitter towards India for what has happened to me,” MacKeown said.
The paper said that she is pressing ahead with her demand for a Central Bureau of Investigation inquiry into the initial cover-up of the death.
“Yesterday I was asked by a TV reporter if I ever think about Scarlette. And I just crumpled up inside. And I was also seething with anger,” MacKeown said.
“I don’t stop thinking about her. Every time I close my eyes, I see her,” she said, adding, “I just want to say goodbye to her properly.”
- Scarlett case: Mother says trial could help other tourist victims seek justice - Jul 31, 2010
- Scarlett Keeling's killers 'gave her drugs', claims her mother - Aug 03, 2010
- Murdered Scarlett Keeling's mum to appear at the trial of accused - Jul 30, 2010
- I don't know if there will be justice: Fiona Mackeown - Apr 19, 2010
- Scarlett Keeling's mother fears being murdered by Goa "drugs nexus" - Aug 03, 2010
- Murdered Brit teen Scarlett Keeling's mum admits to benefit fraud - Mar 20, 2010
- Scarlett Keeling's mother charged with benefit fraud: report - Nov 19, 2009
- Keeling lawyer says Goa police, drug lords in cahoots - Apr 05, 2010
- Goa rape-murder victim Scarlett Keeling's stepfather found dead in UK - Apr 17, 2010
- Scarlett's character being maligned: Fiona - Aug 02, 2010
- Scarlett Keeling murder retold on 'Anjuna Beach' - Jul 02, 2011
- Goa home minister, son linked to drug mafia: Scarlett's mother - Aug 02, 2010
- Fiona deposes in Goa court; says police suppressed facts - Jul 30, 2010
- Fiona likely to depose in court in Scarlett trial: Lawyer - Apr 14, 2010
- Scarlett trial scarring Goa's image in Britain: Tourism body - Apr 14, 2010
Tags: anger, anjuna beach, autopsy, british teenager, central bureau of investigation, goa police, India, london march, mother london, murder verdict, safety reasons, scarlette, state police, suspicion, time of her life, tv reporter, two men