Not able to conclude Teesta agreement: MathaiSeptember 7th, 2011 - 1:03 am ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Sep 6 (IANS) India and Bangladesh were Tuesday unable to sign an agreement on sharing waters of the Teesta river, Indian Foreign Secretary Rajan Mathai said here.
“We were unable to carry out the proposed agreement on Teesta,” Mathai said, at a press conference at the end of the first day of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s two-day visit to Bangladesh.
The deal on Teesta, which begins its journey in Sikkim and flows through north Bengal before entering Bangladesh, was not signed following the objections of India’s West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee over the final draft of the agreement.
Banerjee, who was supposed to accompany Manmohan Singh for the Sep 6-7 visit, refused to join the delegation in protest.
Bangladesh had sought an explanation from India over the postponement of the Teesta water accord.
Bangladesh Foreign Secretary Mizarul Kayes sought an explanation from the Indian High Commissioner in Dhaka, Rajeet Mitter, for delaying the Teesta river water sharing deal, reported the Daily Star Tuesday.
The absence of an agreement had also delayed a similar agreement on sharing the waters of the Feni river, Mathai said.
The Feni, which flows 135 km south of Tripura capital Agartala, has been in dispute since 1934. In a total catchment area of 1,147 square km of the river, 535 square km falls in India and the rest in Bangladesh.
- Dhaka demands to know why Delhi postponed Teesta deal - Sep 06, 2011
- Teesta water agreement hits choppy waters - Sep 05, 2011
- Mamata's no show for Dhaka embarrasses PM, UPA - Sep 05, 2011
- Bangladesh, a country that shares 54 rivers with India - Sep 06, 2011
- PM's Dhaka trip: Teesta pact unlikely - Sep 06, 2011
- With Mamata out, four CMs to accompany PM to Dhaka - Sep 05, 2011
- Tripura hopes for solution to river disputes with Bangladesh - Sep 04, 2011
- Mathai meets Mamata, says talks positive - Feb 18, 2012
- A Bangladeshi invite for Mamata: Will she go? - Feb 20, 2012
- Dhaka, Delhi to exchange Teesta river data - Sep 30, 2011
- Besides Teesta accord, Dhaka wants enclaves issue resolved - Jul 26, 2012
- 'No Teesta accord, so no transit to India' - Sep 06, 2011
- Bangladesh ministers say Teesta pact will be done - Sep 06, 2011
- Mamata to discuss NCTC, Teesta pact with PM Wednesday - Feb 21, 2012
- Mamata's absence is insult to Manmohan: Dhaka daily - Sep 07, 2011
Tags: agartala, catchment area, chief minister, feni river, final draft, indian high commissioner, kayes, mamata banerjee, manmohan, manmohan singh, mitter, north bengal, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajan, river water, sikkim, water accord, water sharing, west bengal