Norwegian newspaper claims to possess all ‘uncensored’ Wikileaks cablesDecember 24th, 2010 - 3:15 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Dec 24 (ANI): A Norwegian newspaper has claimed that it has obtained the whole bunch of 250,000 uncensored secret US diplomatic cables that the whistleblower website ‘Wikileas’ has been distributing all this while.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Aftenposten is apparently the first media organisation outside WikiLeaks’ five partners to obtain the secret materials.
WikiLeaks has till now reportedly released about 1,900 of the over 250,000 State Department documents it claims to possess, many of them containing critical or embarrassing US assessments of foreign nations and their leaders.
As of now, The New York Times, France’s Le Monde, Britain’s Guardian newspaper and the German magazine Der Spiegel have been publishing the documents.
Managing editor Ole Erik Almlid of Aftenposten has said that his newspaper has no restrictions on how to use the material, and will be publishing articles about the US documents that it finds relevant in its online and paper editions.
Almlid said: “We have received these documents … without restrictions and without paying anything for it,” but declined to say exactly how the paper obtained the material, saying: “We never reveal our sources.”
Earlier this year, WikiLeaks published thousands of classified US military documents on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. (ANI)
- Norwegian paper says it has access to over 250,000 Wikileaks documents - Dec 24, 2010
- 'Assange bringing WikiLeaks down' - Dec 23, 2010
- WikiLeaks releases cables naming top secret sources - Aug 30, 2011
- WikiLeaks spurned NYT, but Guardian leaked State Department cables to it - Nov 30, 2010
- WikiLeaks: US trying to remove uranium from Pak facility over illicit nuke use fears - Nov 29, 2010
- Secret war files reveal brutal killing of over 100,000 Iraqis over six years - Oct 23, 2010
- Assange claims he has got secret files on Murdoch - Jan 13, 2011
- Ex-WikiLeaks staff to launch rival site in protest against 'autocratic' Assange - Dec 10, 2010
- Indian will react after complete revelations by WikiLeaks: Krishna - Dec 01, 2010
- Our values are those of US revolution: Assange - Jan 31, 2011
- US Air Force blocks media sites posting leaked 'Wikileaks' documents - Dec 15, 2010
- WikiLeaks to auction its co-founder's stuff on eBay - Sep 17, 2011
- Bradley Manning treatment called 'illegal and unconstitutional' - Apr 11, 2011
- US warns Britain, India over new WikiLeaks revelations (Lead) - Nov 27, 2010
- At CIA, WikiLeaks task force is - OMG! - 'WTF' - Dec 23, 2010
Tags: aftenposten, cables, dec 24, der spiegel, five partners, german magazine der, guardian newspaper, managing editor, media organisation, military documents, morning herald, new york dec, new york times, norwegian newspaper, paper editions, secret materials, spiegel, state department documents, sydney morning herald, wikileaks