Norwegian mass killer sentenced to 21 years in jail (Lead)August 24th, 2012 - 4:21 pm ICT by IANS
Oslo, Aug 24 (IANS) Norwegian mass killer Anders Behring Breivik was sentenced to 21 years in prison for killing 77 people in bomb and shooting attacks last year.
The court also found him to be sane, dismissing the prosecution’s request for an insane verdict, reported Xinhua.
Norway’s penal code does not have the death penalty or life in prison, and the maximum prison term for Breivik’s charges is 21 years.
However, inmates who are considered a threat to society can be held indefinitely.
District Court Judge Wenche Elizabeth Arntzen first read out the conclusion of the verdict.
After being brought into the main courtroom, Breivik smiled and chatted with his lawyers and people behind him before the verdict reading started at 10 a.m.
Norwegian prosecutors had demanded that Breivik be ruled as insane when the trial for Norway’s worst peace time attacks started April 16.
Breivik’s defense lawyer Geir Lippestad, who met Breivik Thursday for the last time before Friday’s verdict, said that Breivik would accept prison terms but would appeal an insanity ruling.
Breivik, a 33-year-old Norwegian on a mission to expel Muslims from Europe, set off a car bomb that killed eight people outside government headquarters in Oslo July 22, 2011 and then killed 69 others in a shooting rampage on Utoeya island, where young members of the governing Labor Party had gathered for their annual summer camp.
- Norwegian killer sentenced to 21 years in prison - Aug 24, 2012
- Norway attacker's lawyer says he is insane - Jul 26, 2011
- Prosecutors want Norway killer be ruled insane - Jun 22, 2012
- Court declares Norway killer sane - Apr 10, 2012
- Norway remembers Oslo, Utoeya victims - Jul 22, 2012
- Go to hell: Man tells Norway killer at trial - May 11, 2012
- It was gruesome but necessary, says Norway attacker - Jul 24, 2011
- Jail Norway killer, don't put him in mental care: Defence - Jun 22, 2012
- Norway gunman says he acted alone (Second Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Norway's mass killer faces court hearing - Jul 25, 2011
- Norway gunman claims to be sane - Apr 05, 2012
- Norway killer terms insanity report as lie - Apr 25, 2012
- Breivik planned more Oslo attacks, says lawyer - Jul 29, 2011
- Norwegian killer mulls autobiography - Aug 22, 2012
- Norway to build separate psychiatric ward for Breivik - Jun 29, 2012
Tags: behring, car bomb, courtroom, death penalty, defense lawyer, district court judge, geir, government headquarters, inmates, insanity, life in prison, mass killer, maximum prison, peace time, penal code, prison term, prison terms, rampage, wenche, xinhua