Norway killer refuses to disclose militant contactsApril 19th, 2012 - 2:39 am ICT by IANS
Oslo, April 19 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Norwegian mass killer Anders Breivik appeared increasingly irritated and uncooperative, and largely refused to answer as prosecutors questioned him about his alleged “militant nationalist” contacts.
“It is not in my interest to shed light on details that could lead to arrests,” Breivik was quoted as saying by the Telegraph.
Breivik, who murdered 77 innocent people in July last year, claims to have carried out the attacks on behalf of the Knights Templar — an alleged network of militant nationalists fighting the “Muslim colonisation” of Europe — that he founded with three other people in London in 2002.
The 33-year-old extremist described the militant nationalist group in a 1,500-page manifesto he posted online before the attacks.
Norwegian police have never been able to prove the existence of the Knights Templar.
Prosecutors have said they believe the network does not exist “in the way he describes it”.
Breivik insists it does, and said police had merely not done a good enough job in uncovering it.
Breivik said a lengthy jail term was a “ridiculous” and “pathetic punishment” and that a “just” punishment would be the death penalty.
“There are only two just and fair outcomes of this trial - acquittal or capital punishment. I consider 21 years of prison as a pathetic punishment,” he ssaid.
“If I had feared death, I would not have dared to carry out this operation,” he said.
Norway does not have the death penalty.
The trial against Breivik began Monday with two professional judges, as well as three lay judges — local politicians who are appointed for four-year terms and participate on an equal basis in deciding guilt and sentencing. The key issue to be resolved during the trial, expected to last 10 weeks, is Breivik’s mental state.
Many survivors and families of the victims are worried that Breivik may use the trial to promote his extremist ideology. In a statement Breivik published online before the attacks, he wrote that “patriotic resistance fighters” should use trials “as a platform to further our cause”.
- Norwegian killer mulls autobiography - Aug 22, 2012
- Norway judge dismissed over call to execute killer - Apr 18, 2012
- Norway killer officially charged with terrorism - Mar 08, 2012
- Norway mass killer says acted in defence of nation - Apr 16, 2012
- Norway gunman claims to be sane - Apr 05, 2012
- Norwegian killer posted manifesto, video before attacks - Jul 24, 2011
- Norway killer's friends viewed him as gay - May 29, 2012
- Norway killer Breivik revisits site of shooting rampage - Aug 15, 2011
- Norway police chief resigns over Breivik attack - Aug 17, 2012
- Norway killer says he learned from Al Qaeda - Apr 21, 2012
- Norwegian mass killer sentenced to 21 years in jail (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Norway killer asks court for immediate release - Feb 07, 2012
- Breivik's copycat held in Czech Republic - Aug 19, 2012
- Norway killer's German lover deported - Apr 20, 2012
- Italian lawmaker apologises for backing Breivik ideology (Lead) - Jul 28, 2011
Tags: acquittal, capital punishment, colonisation, death penalty, extremist, guilt, jail term, knights, lengthy jail, manifesto, mass killer, muslim, nationalist group, nationalists, norwegian police, oslo, politicians, professional judges, prosecutors, ria novosti