North Ossetian deputy PM, driver fatally shotDecember 31st, 2008 - 7:48 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Dec 31 (DPA) The deputy prime minister of the Russian province of North Ossetia and his driver were fatally shot in an attack Wednesday, reported the Interfax news agency, citing the North Ossetian interior ministry.No details were available about the attack on North Ossetian Deputy Prime Minister Kasbek Pagiyev. The attack in the north Caucasian province is believed to be linked to the November murder of Vitali Karayev, the mayor of Vladikavkaz.
Pagiyev held that position before Karayev.
North Ossetia borders the breakaway Georgian republic of South Ossetia. Political tensions run high through the entire Caucasus region, with almost daily clashes between rebel groups, criminal bands and police units in the other Caucasian republics of Chechnya and Ingushetia.
- Russian jailed for bombing that killed 19 - Apr 27, 2012
- Two terrorists held over deadly attack in Russia - May 31, 2011
- Russian jailed for 14 years for 2010 bombing - May 31, 2012
- 15 killed in car bomb attack in Russia (Lead) - Sep 09, 2010
- Car bomb kills four in Russia - Sep 28, 2011
- Russia killed 300 militants in North Caucasus in 2011 - Dec 03, 2011
- At least four dead after shooting in Russia's Chechen parliament - Oct 19, 2010
- Five injured in Russia blast - Oct 24, 2010
- Six militants killed in Russia - May 13, 2012
- Russian mayor killed in shooting incident - Nov 26, 2008
- Putin says Chechens not behind deadly Moscow airport bombing - Jan 27, 2011
- Minister killed in Russia's Ingushetia republic - Jul 17, 2009
- Gunmen attack investigators' car in Russia - May 22, 2010
- Two militants killed in Russia - Oct 23, 2010
- Russian police kill five militants in Dagestan - Jun 16, 2010